Tidekit - Native vs. HTML5, they promise no difference

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm

I stumbled upon this a few days ago:
TideKit
It promises Native performance for HTML5 apps, is that even possible?
As said, im not 100% sure if this is actually something doable for C2, if it is, and it works, it would be awesome :)
If you are to lazy to checkout their homepage, but love looking videos, check out their video about TideKit.
Little side note: TideKit is the former TideSDK.
So, it could be something, or couldnt, let's wait and see.
- Conti
Last edited by SgtConti on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:29 pm

It sounds like a ton of buzzwords and zero technical info. A hype-machine at best.

As an engineer, I see all those photos of happy people with first names (all common ones, not even one weird name - it's as if they invented those names) written below them and think "istockphotos.com" instead of "happy customers".
Edit: Just like I thought: http://www.rgbstock.com/bigphoto/2di5nt ... p+Kenson+2

I see "deploy on the desktop/mobile/web" together with "HTML5,CSS,PHP,MySQL" and think "do these guys even know the difference between front-end and back-end?". Looks like they did a google search for "web technologies" and put all the names they found as bullet points on their page.

Most of their "platforms" are variations on a theme:
  • 4 versions of windows
  • 4 versions of OSX
  • 2 versions of iOS
  • 2 versions of Linux
Gee, well guess I can't import that to my debian/slackware/chromebook/windows phone then, can I?

tidekit wrote:"Native vs HTML5" is a polarizing debate. Let's stop it. Your approach shouldn't be driven by the technologies available, but the requirements of your business. What you need is a dynamic partner that has the flexibility to support you, regardless of the approach you choose.

Management-speak without real substance.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:29 pm

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Still, it's worth keeping an eye on just in case they really are, like, completely revolutionizing app development.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 am

Those photos just scream "fake testimonial" to me.
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:18 am

To be fair, they don't claim they're real testimonials. They just claim that people like these could be your happy customers one day. Note the caption: Your Happy Customers, not "Our"... Indeed, the product isn't even released yet so testimonials cannot yet exist.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 am

There will still be a difference, but it will be minimal, 20-25% performance penalty instead of the current 50-70%.

With JS supporting SIMD and improvement to ASM HTML5 has a bright future.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03 am

This is almost certainly a scam, at the very least it's not what it says it is.

You can pay $30 to have access to these 'tools', without knowing anything about them at all.

Check out their 'latest reservations' scrolling thing. They've just given one or two default stereotypical names to each country (except the U.S. where they randomly sample all names) and have them scroll across at a constant rate. Pretty hilarious actually.

Have a look - everyone from Australia is called 'Nathan', everyone from Saudi Arabia is 'Ahmed' etc.

This is really great actually, I'm enjoying this :D

EDIT: Check out their twitter, it's full of people demanding refunds for what appears to be 'nothing but thin air'.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:11 am

sqiddster wrote:This is almost certainly a scam, at the very least it's not what it says it is.

You can pay $30 to have access to these 'tools', without knowing anything about them at all.

Check out their 'latest reservations' scrolling thing. They've just given one or two default stereotypical names to each country (except the U.S. where they randomly sample all names) and have them scroll across at a constant rate. Pretty hilarious actually.

Have a look - everyone from Australia is called 'Nathan', everyone from Saudi Arabia is 'Ahmed' etc.

This is really great actually, I'm enjoying this :D

EDIT: Check out their twitter, it's full of people demanding refunds for what appears to be 'nothing but thin air'.

Oh yeah, haha, that's hilarious!
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 am

This really feels like a complete waste of time/money, if not a full scam. I'd stay clear from this....
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 am

Actually pretty damn nasty to set a scam such as this. Not like indie devs aren't already poor to start with.. stealing from the poor...
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas