Tidekit - Native vs. HTML5, they promise no difference

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

@fariwinds , the conversation is in the beginning of this topic, as well as the multiple os conversation.
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:28 pm

@Fimbul To explain, the happy faces are supposed to be those of your customers. This is just symbolic, and we use a stock image there to show smiling happy people.

We are working to achieve ubiquity across devices so that with a single effort in your project code, a customer gets a great user experience moving from device to device. That is all we mean. Folks move between their devices throughout the day, their desktops, phone, tablets, tv and they are never almost on the same OS.

We wanted our platform page to read like a story with a beginning and an end. An introduction from design and concept through to the deployment story. In the end we want folks building apps and reaching as many folks with their apps as possible. This is important for your own monetization and so that you have happy customers as opposed to those asking you when you are going to be ready with your app on the device they use.

On the multiple OSs. Its is not always easy with what we work with to maintain compatibility with the older operating systems. Many folks are not on the latest and it is important for us to show that when you build, you can still deploy and run on these.
B
S

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:37 pm

@fariwinds , that is i good explanation (at least im satisfied with that :D), with that, i now think we at least should wait to see it in action.

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:56 pm

SgtConti, I will seek out the Chan thread and reply. We also have a number of folks in the TideSDK community waiting for TideKit for some time. This is also really also their upgrade path and many folks there have been more than patient as we have been moving forward. You will see our blog up next week as we look to do a better job to communicate with everyone. We also have a tag for TideKit on StackOverflow for questions. If folks need any immediate answers, twitter is something we respond to fairly quickly.
B
S

Post » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 pm

I thought it was pretty clear that those stock photos were supposed to be samples of OUR customers should we use TideKit. I said as much in the first couple comments. I was also shocked when people seemed to willfully misread and interpret it as being "fake testimonials". Sometimes people just want to be skeptics and poo-pooers about everything. Let this be a lesson to all of us, then.

And despite TideSDK being a relatively easy to research thing, people here were still determined to call this a fraud and a scam. To be fair, it still could be, but man, it seems to me that this guy, who gave us his name and has an active Twitter account for his business, and clearly has a reputation, has come here and professionally explained things very well for us. It seems that Mr. Pratt is invested in this project at the very least. I'm not saying I'm buying TideKit, but I would be a bit more cautious before I rush to call it fraudulent given that it is easily researched that TideSDK is a thing: http://www.tidesdk.org/.

Here you can also see David Pratt's name mentioned as their "fearless leader": http://www.tidesdk.org/blog/2012/09/29/ ... ct-update/
Going on to TideKit's website, you can see that David Pratt (as fairwinds, which was his alias on TideSDK and twitter) is indeed the project leader of both TideKit and TideSDK.

I for one am curious to see if TideKit will have any relevance to C2. That's what we should really be focusing on from here on out. It's clear that TideKit is a thing, although we don't know exactly how powerful or applicable it will be to us. At the very least, I think we can put some of our skepticism aside.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 am

Could @Ashley weigh on the viability of TideKit and C2?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 am

@teacherpeter I appreciate the kind words. The immediate possibility I see for C2 is for TideKit to serve to wrap and package your apps. Folks were doing this with our TideSDK for desktop. Unfortunately the webkit there was aging and we decided to put all our effort for upgrades and a broader multi-platform approach with TideKit. Don't you think it would be better to use one tool than multiple tools for mobile, web, and desktop.

We are up to date with all our webkit ports and now have builds for chromium/blink. Because TideKit can build against the native webkit on mac, reaching the AppStore with appropriate entitlements is possible for desktop. The other possible integration is to use our APIs together with C2 APIs to bring native capabilities into your games that go beyond HTML5 capabilities.

We'd be happy to make believers of this community. I've not yet met Ashley, but together, perhaps we can give away a few reservations to some folks that would be prepared to report back or blog about their experience with TideKit once they've had a chance to experience it. It would also give us a chance to open up more communication with C2 users to ensure we have a product that will fill your needs. That's the offer I would like to make.
Last edited by fariwinds on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:18 am

On a lighter note, I messed up my forum name, typing it too quickly I guess when I set it up. My handle is fairwinds. Not able to correct it in the bb. Not sure if there is an admin that could correct it or not.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:18 am

@fariwinds , you could ask Tom , just send him a pm or post your problem in the website issues category.

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:20 pm

SgtConti, Thanks I will do that. The other possibility I see for C2 and TideKit is for Scirra to transform its software expand its reach on more devices. Windows, Mac and Linux and on tablets at least. Currently it is Windows dependent but I would be willing to bet this would open more possibilities for its creators for alternative software distribution and to grow a wider audience for game development.

This is where TideKit could fit beyond becoming an alternative wrapper for packaging and distribution. I see that one of its core targets are students. Tablets in schools are becoming more accessible than desktop machines. We worked with a company in the past who's primary product was stop motion animation for students in schools where their existing product was very successful on tablet.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas