Tilegrid Plugin IDEA

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 pm

The tilegrid plugin is an object that works as a unique-object grid, with several properties/conditions/events that may be useful.
You can assing to each cell a unique value.

Properties :

Number of cells (X,Y) = 1,1
Items... (Here you can choose the values)

Conditions :

Compare at (X,Y)
Compare number of cells (X,Y)
For every cell of X type
Pick one of them

Events :

Create object at cell (X,Y)
Create object at picked cell
Assing value at cell (X,Y)

Why should it be useful? For example you have 3 types of crates : 1, 2 and 3. They're sprites. If you are going to make a puzzle game, you can easily position these sprites in a grid graphically, and manage all the puzzle events by grid cells. Example :

->For every cell of 1 type
+ Pick one of them
= Create object at picked cell
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:55 am

It would also be good to be able to set another object's location to a tilegrid's tile location, maybe via a value of "Tilegrid.Tile(x,y)" or something like that.
I've been doing it on a grid of 16x16 tiles by using Set X to Sprite('PseudoX') * 16, and same sort of thing for Y, but it's kind of annoying to do.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 am

This is all good, but this is already possible through the current system. What you both are looking at is the basic array system. Placing objects may be a bit harder, but you can make a system to place objects and also a system to parse the text in array locations, allowing you to place a vast number of changes to objects and objects themselves. I agree that if there was a plugin to help tile-based games, it would definitely be well-spent, but mostly this is reiterating what is already possible.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:23 pm

[quote="Exomarc":34pxicis]This is all good, but this is already possible through the current system. What you both are looking at is the basic array system. Placing objects may be a bit harder, but you can make a system to place objects and also a system to parse the text in array locations, allowing you to place a vast number of changes to objects and objects themselves. I agree that if there was a plugin to help tile-based games, it would definitely be well-spent, but mostly this is reiterating what is already possible.[/quote:34pxicis]

I know, but this tile object have options based FOR GAMES, like the one i wrote, which are more easy and better than arrays.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:23 am

I would like this too. I've always wanted to make an Advance Wars style game and right now, while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort. I would much rather have a tile or grid object to make things easier and a lot more bearable.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 am

[quote="machrider":mjm10x7i]...while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort...[/quote:mjm10x7i]

That all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into your game. Imagine how tough it would be to code an Advance Wars type game from scratch using, say, C++ and Allegro or something. Yet some people do it.

I don't mean to undermine the request for a tile system, I'm just saying.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Yeah, but then again, the reason I use Construct (or even Multimedia Fusion in the past) is because when it comes to actual programming (one that use a language) I'm clueless. This program makes it easy to make anything I want, provided that it programmed to so. Also call me lazy, but I like to do things the fast and convenient way.

And besides, If I had the knowledge or skill to code things by scratch in C++ or whatever, I'd make my own 3D model plugin and start working a 3D platform game by now. I wouldn't be wasting my time doing smalltime projects like the ones I'm doing now.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Why dont we all use 3D Array XD?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:36 pm

[quote="machrider":2k9u26ks]Yeah, but then again...[/quote:2k9u26ks]

Look, my point is this:

[quote="machrider":2k9u26ks]while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort.[/quote:2k9u26ks]

It's not harder than it should be. It's easier than it would be otherwise because Construct is still doing most of the work for you. Whether or not it's "worth the effort" is entirely up to you. The fact is a 2d array of grid tiles is something that could easily be created in Construct as it is now if you just put in the time to do it.

That's one thing that a lot of people don't seem to get about game-dev tools like Construct or MMF or Game Maker. They make things easier, yes... but you still have to do real work to make a game. There could be features for this or that that all make Construct easier to use down to the smallest detail, but it can never make a game for you. Somewhere along he line you're going to have to create custom events that perform a function that Construct doesn't offer up on it's own as a plugin or tickable property. "I'm lazy" isn't a good reason to request a feature.

So if it's possible to make in Construct, and reasonably easy to do so with a little effort, then why request it as a feature? I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

Sorry SuperV, I guess I'm all up in your feature request after all. Me and my big mouth :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Yep i think Construct Dev's dont want to make this project as "RPGmaker" in that way its more flexible and yet its easy to create applications on it, and if you want make more advanced operations on it, you use Script feature.

PLEASE dont make Construct in to Pop-quiz Program for ex.
"What do you want to create?:
[X] Zombie Game
[_] Rpg Game
[_] Sport Game
[_] Platformer Game"
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion