Tilegrid Plugin IDEA

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • The tilegrid plugin is an object that works as a unique-object grid, with several properties/conditions/events that may be useful.

You can assing to each cell a unique value.

Properties :

Number of cells (X,Y) = 1,1

Items... (Here you can choose the values)

Conditions :

Compare at (X,Y)

Compare number of cells (X,Y)

For every cell of X type

Pick one of them

Events :

Create object at cell (X,Y)

Create object at picked cell

Assing value at cell (X,Y)

Why should it be useful? For example you have 3 types of crates : 1, 2 and 3. They're sprites. If you are going to make a puzzle game, you can easily position these sprites in a grid graphically, and manage all the puzzle events by grid cells. Example :

->For every cell of 1 type

+ Pick one of them

= Create object at picked cell

• It would also be good to be able to set another object's location to a tilegrid's tile location, maybe via a value of "Tilegrid.Tile(x,y)" or something like that.

I've been doing it on a grid of 16x16 tiles by using Set X to Sprite('PseudoX') * 16, and same sort of thing for Y, but it's kind of annoying to do.

• This is all good, but this is already possible through the current system. What you both are looking at is the basic array system. Placing objects may be a bit harder, but you can make a system to place objects and also a system to parse the text in array locations, allowing you to place a vast number of changes to objects and objects themselves. I agree that if there was a plugin to help tile-based games, it would definitely be well-spent, but mostly this is reiterating what is already possible.

• This is all good, but this is already possible through the current system. What you both are looking at is the basic array system. Placing objects may be a bit harder, but you can make a system to place objects and also a system to parse the text in array locations, allowing you to place a vast number of changes to objects and objects themselves. I agree that if there was a plugin to help tile-based games, it would definitely be well-spent, but mostly this is reiterating what is already possible.

I know, but this tile object have options based FOR GAMES, like the one i wrote, which are more easy and better than arrays.

• I would like this too. I've always wanted to make an Advance Wars style game and right now, while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort. I would much rather have a tile or grid object to make things easier and a lot more bearable.

• ...while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort...

That all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into your game. Imagine how tough it would be to code an Advance Wars type game from scratch using, say, C++ and Allegro or something. Yet some people do it.

I don't mean to undermine the request for a tile system, I'm just saying.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, but then again, the reason I use Construct (or even Multimedia Fusion in the past) is because when it comes to actual programming (one that use a language) I'm clueless. This program makes it easy to make anything I want, provided that it programmed to so. Also call me lazy, but I like to do things the fast and convenient way.

And besides, If I had the knowledge or skill to code things by scratch in C++ or whatever, I'd make my own 3D model plugin and start working a 3D platform game by now. I wouldn't be wasting my time doing smalltime projects like the ones I'm doing now.

• Why dont we all use 3D Array XD?

• Yeah, but then again...

Look, my point is this:

while it is possible with Construct, it's harder than it should be and isn't worth the effort.

It's not harder than it should be. It's easier than it would be otherwise because Construct is still doing most of the work for you. Whether or not it's "worth the effort" is entirely up to you. The fact is a 2d array of grid tiles is something that could easily be created in Construct as it is now if you just put in the time to do it.

That's one thing that a lot of people don't seem to get about game-dev tools like Construct or MMF or Game Maker. They make things easier, yes... but you still have to do real work to make a game. There could be features for this or that that all make Construct easier to use down to the smallest detail, but it can never make a game for you. Somewhere along he line you're going to have to create custom events that perform a function that Construct doesn't offer up on it's own as a plugin or tickable property. "I'm lazy" isn't a good reason to request a feature.

So if it's possible to make in Construct, and reasonably easy to do so with a little effort, then why request it as a feature? I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

Sorry SuperV, I guess I'm all up in your feature request after all. Me and my big mouth

• Yep i think Construct Dev's dont want to make this project as "RPGmaker" in that way its more flexible and yet its easy to create applications on it, and if you want make more advanced operations on it, you use Script feature.

PLEASE dont make Construct in to Pop-quiz Program for ex.

"What do you want to create?:

[X] Zombie Game

[_] Rpg Game

[_] Sport Game

[_] Platformer Game"

• Yep i think Construct Dev's dont want to make this project as "RPGmaker" in that way its more flexible and yet its easy to create applications on it, and if you want make more advanced operations on it, you use Script feature.

PLEASE dont make Construct in to Pop-quiz Program for ex.

"What do you want to create?:

[X] Zombie Game

[_] Rpg Game

[_] Sport Game

[_] Platformer Game"

It's like saying to make your own movements, not have the pre-made one.

If you want to use the advanced grid object, use it, if you don't want, make your own from scratch. After all is a plugin, made to simplify things.

• Ok this last sentence was a joke, and i will use Advanced Grid Object if it will be available (and useful), im just saying "Not there? Make it!" but thats just my rant/opinion.

• Ok this last sentence was a joke, and i will use Advanced Grid Object if it will be available (and useful), im just saying "Not there? Make it!" but thats just my rant/opinion.

Sure, just give me a few years to learn C++ and some time to learn the SDK first.

Who knows, maybe by then Construct will reach 2.0 or even 3.0.

• So if it's possible to make in Construct, and reasonably easy to do so with a little effort, then why request it as a feature? I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

It isn't reasonably easy to do. If it was, I wouldn't be requesting it.

You can make a pseudo (fake) grid engine with a lot of work and a bunch of events where you manually have to calculate where the center of each square on the "grid" (each and every single x/y coordinate) is to move your character (which would likely result in an event sheet that takes up the whole screen) but that's just tedious and haphazard, and not to mention just isn't practical.

Also, that C++ and Allegro comparison that was made before is irreverent. If you were using C++ or any actual language, you'd be able to code an actual grid engine that loads tiles from a tilesheet, moves things according to the grid automatically, etc.

Construct by itself does not have that ability unless someone codes it in via the plugin SDK or editing the source code.

Since I cannot code, I am requesting that someone help out and add this functionality.

And that's what should happen. I don't see why anyone is objecting to as basic and essential as this. Even MMF has a grid object.

If you won't use it, then fine. Don't use it. I actually think you need it more than you're realizing.*

And about the rest of what you said. I'm not saying for Construct to make a game for me. I am saying that there is no way in hell I can learn something such as C++ and believe me I've tried. I need menus to click on, I cannot remember syntax or languages for the life of me. Call me lazy if you want, but I am not going to learn C++ anytime soon.

*Edit: Another thing you might not realize is this. A Tile Grid object can directly be used to make a level editor for games. In fact, by requesting this, you are also requesting the ability to add level editing to games. If you've used MMF before you'd know that it's almost essential to have a grid object for such a thing.

If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, The way it works is. The user uses a preset series of parts (different tiles for slopes, straight surface, etc) to create a level. The data of where each tile is stored and which one is used is stored in an INI file which then can be distributed as the level. Then through a series of events, the grid object loads this data and arranges the tiles accordingly to each square where they were originally.

This is one of the many uses a tile grid object has. It isn't something you can just make up in the event editor. You may be able a pseudo tile engine for an RPG or haphazardly for a strategy game (like Advance Wars), but not everything else it is capable of doing.

• In fact, I think rather than a grid object there should be something integrated into Construct itself.

If you notice, on the layout tab, you can toggle a grid on and off and edit the size of it.

Rather than this grid just being just something that is part of the UI of Construct, you should be able to use it in the event editor.

Like there is an option to move things according to X (or Y), there should be an option to move things according to the grid (to the next square, or specific square in the grid, etc).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)