Tilemap object map array/export

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:38 am

I was looking at the new tilemap feature and unsure if it's just undocumented or not included. I was wondering if there was a way to save/load data into the tilemap to change the tilemap during runtime.

Currently as far as I can see the map for the tiles is only editable during edit-time.

I am unsure how exactly the tilemap plugin works (perhaps more info on that compared to regular sprites?), but I only can assume it uses an array to tell the software what tile goes where. I think we should be able to load/save it in JSON format like the other array-originated plugins.

If it is possible, I would not expect the runtime-loading to be fast enough to play through, as the intention is more of creating map JSONs outside of C2's edit-time that can be loaded upon stage select.Thndr2013-11-05 01:38:51
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 pm

There aren't any such features right now, but we'll be improving it over the next few releases and will try to cover this.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] There aren't any such features right now, but we'll be improving it over the next few releases and will try to cover this.[/QUOTE]
Awesome, IMO that was the only thing really missing for me.
Great implementation so far though and a longtime coming :P

Perhaps you could release a blog post next stable comparing the performance of the tilemap object to tons of Sprites as tiles and combination Sprite+9patches&tiledbg. Hopefully getting a little technical into it as well, comparing draw calls and other rendering information.Thndr2013-11-05 18:27:10
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General