Tilemap quality-of-life changes

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Why dont you use http://www.mapeditor.org ? It does everything that you are looking

C2 supports TMX to import tiles from this program
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:06 am

@Joannesalfa Because C2's tilemap already does most of the same things minus these seemingly simple & common features (well, some of them). I'm not going to use an entirely different program just for a few more features..that would just negate the work Ashley has already put into the tilemap object.

Also I once used Tiled (via TMX Importer) with sprite objects acting as tiles (as Ashley and everyone else suggested) and ended up having to cancel the game because of the insanely slow preview/export/commit/update times, freezing when loading maps, difficulty managing tilesets, and tons of memory use. (It was that or re-building every single level in C2 and refactoring just about every object) You can't really load .tmx tiles into C2 tilemaps at runtime either due to the 1-tilemap-per-object design. That said, I strongly advise devs to NOT use Tiled with C2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Hey @Ashley can we please get an official statement on these features? In my opinion only the first feature (picking already-placed tiles from the layout) is truly necessary as it sort of makes the other two redundant: Once you've placed some tiles you can zoom in on the layout instead, making it easier to view & pick tiles, and patterns / tile groups can be picked up and placed elsewhere to create larger and more elaborate patterns instead of adding more functionality to the rectangle tool.

I know we can import .tmx files into the tilemaps but that's not very practical. Not only is it an awful workflow but it negates much of the work you've already put into the tilemap object. Just a few more features (or the one, really) and we won't have to rely on other software to get the job done :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 am

TMX_importer by RexRainbow will import tmx files at runtime, I am using it and it works nicely.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:13 am

@helena
Tokinsom wrote:Also I once used Tiled (via TMX Importer) with sprite objects acting as tiles (as Ashley and everyone else suggested) and ended up having to cancel the game because of the insanely slow preview/export/commit/update times, freezing when loading maps, difficulty managing tilesets, and tons of memory use. (It was that or re-building every single level in C2 and refactoring just about every object) You can't really load .tmx tiles into C2 tilemaps at runtime either due to the 1-tilemap-per-object design. That said, I strongly advise devs to NOT use Tiled with C2.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

Ah sorry, missed that one, I am sorry it is not working for you. I guess it is different for different needs! I think I have smaller levels, so it might be that.

Maybe it would work better if there's a built in support for these files.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:42 pm

@helena With a few changes to the tilemap object, Tiled would be a viable solution for all tile based games large or small. Either way, I'd much rather use a level editor integrated and designed around C2 than some generic one. Using an external editor can be very limiting.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:16 pm

But on other hand external editor that is free to download is good if you want people to help you create levels. This is of course for games that is more strategy/puzzle based! :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm

These features are absolutely necessary, I always feel a certain frustration when working with really small tiles (namely 8x8).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Bump :T
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General