Tilemap quality-of-life changes

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:35 am

@Tokinsom , I'd like to see an option/feature for Tilemap instances to auto-update if tmx files change is all I'm saying really.. It would help my workflow.
What's wrong with wanting that?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:43 am

Nobody is trying to keep features from being added. We're all just dancing around the fact that if its not already in, then at this point in time it may not be doable in C2.

Sadly the gui lib issue has struck again. It killed open source CC, and has hobbled C2.

You can either work around that, or do whatever this is.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:52 am

@prominent So make a new thread requesting it! How the hell does bashing our requests and endlessly arguing against them going to help you get yours? It's not like either of them is going to take some extraordinary amount of time and effort and cancel each other out.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 am

@Tokinsom , I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if it matters that much you can always contact people directly if you don't want outside opinions or feedback. Getting everyone on the same page is usually impossible. So I'm not really sure how to respond to that.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

I'm a bit late to this, but I have been following this thread and others before regarding the mentioned issues with using tilemaps while maintaining a reasonable workflow. I have to agree with Tokinsom and 7Soul, the current state of C2 is very cumbersome when it comes to creating your actual levels from tilemaps.

As someone who recently tried to make an editor to sort of circumvent the issue, only to realize how the RAM usage blew up, I have to totally +1 the request for the aforementioned improvements.

Would love to have any official word on this from Ashley.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Newt, why would any of the features in question be 'not doable' in C2? How does the GUI Lib issue relate to this?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Well I don't know, but from the discussions had on the inability to make it so users can add custom sections to the editor, and the fact that none of the other sections other than the layout editor have a zoom, I would say its a good guess.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Zoom would be nice, but like I said earlier if we can pick up previously-placed tiles (the important feature) then we can just use the usual layout zoom and go from there. Not the ideal solution but it helps.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 am

I'm a little shocked we can't do that currently -- it seems like such a basic, easy-to-implement feature that is important on so many levels.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:10 am

It seems like Tokinsom is upset about this tilemap workflow. Maybe he doesn't understand what's the workaround, besides I don't know what are the problems.

He talks about loading tilemaps in runtime and zoom, correct?

Load tilemap is supposed to save as JSON from own editor, then create object according the properties.
Use layer for tilemap is supposed to be zoom in or zoom out, I don't see a big deal there.

Basically, don't try to think about one click solution, sometimes we use tricks to solve the problems, I'm ended up with tilemap workflow:
One tile map as world instead of levels, it would have designed better. There a ! sign tile is supposed to do rotate or mirror tiles in runtime. The levels are made with Tiled, maybe if I would build own map editor for tilemap is designed for C2.

B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General