tilled background glitch when scrolling

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Tweakable and easy to use effects for your projects.
  • Found glitch while learning construct. Looks nasty

• Well... it shouldn't do that if your tiles are a power of 2 square (which they are), so I don't know why you're getting that seam.

If you set the App properties to use Point sampling it fixes it.

• Go into your application properties and change Sampling to point rather than linear. This will be fine for your game since it's doesn't need smoothing.

If you need linear sampling, I'm not sure there's an easy way to fix it other than making tiles overlap each other by one or two pixels.

• Turn the sampling in Application Properties from 'Linear' to 'Point'. It suits pixellated games better anyway. Alternatively, use Sprites for sections of background which do not repeat.

I will investigate the problem - I think I know why it's happening, but it might be tricky to fix. Could you leave it on the bug tracker so I don't forget?

Edit: beaten to the sampling idea!

• Turn the sampling in Application Properties from 'Linear' to 'Point'. It suits pixellated games better anyway. Alternatively, use Sprites for sections of background which do not repeat.

I will investigate the problem - I think I know why it's happening, but it might be tricky to fix. Could you leave it on the bug tracker so I don't forget?

ok

Edit: beaten to the sampling idea!

what do you mean by that?

editkch@added to the tracker.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • He means that deadeye and BenH already suggested changing the sampling to point.

• He means that deadeye and BenH already suggested changing the sampling to point.

ok it does work. however bug is a bug, and has to be anihilated

• Question is, is it off on both sides or just one?

• Question is, is it off on both sides or just one?

check the cap file couse i don't remember.

• This is actually happening because the textures are power-of-two, I think. It means they tile seamlessly inside the object, but it seems the edges glitch (because they're trying to tile the opposite side of the texture). I shall contemplate a solution!

• This is actually happening because the textures are power-of-two, I think. It means they tile seamlessly inside the object, but it seems the edges glitch (because they're trying to tile the opposite side of the texture). I shall contemplate a solution!

Would moving the texture coordinates inwards by half a texel fix the problem?

I shall contemplate what the heck you're talking about.

• But it only happens when the tile is trying to render at a sub-pixel position. For instance, on Point sampling, or if you tell Construct to manually round the scrolling to the nearest pixel, it works. Weird.

• > This is actually happening because the textures are power-of-two, I think. It means they tile seamlessly inside the object, but it seems the edges glitch (because they're trying to tile the opposite side of the texture). I shall contemplate a solution!

>

I shall contemplate what the heck you're talking about.

Oh, now I get it.

But it only happens when the tile is trying to render at a sub-pixel position. For instance, on Point sampling, or if you tell Construct to manually round the scrolling to the nearest pixel, it works. Weird.

The colors of the problem columns seem to be averages of the brown and white they are supposed to be. So maybe it's trying to jam two columns of pixels into one column. Or more appropriately it's trying to put say six tenths of one column and four tenths of another column of the tile into one column on the screen.

• its because of the antialiasing created when you zoom in, the same thing happens when you make objects which should fit perfectly rotate as whole, it creates an atilaiased seam. changing it to point is the way to go.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)