Time to move forward?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:21 pm

@BackendFreak
I believe that learning a simple scripting language is a easy entry to more complex coding. As you said the principles are the same. Learning new things is always wise because all knowledge is somehow related. Simple scripting could be easily compared to Constructs eventing.

Live editing with godot
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:41 pm

@neverk yes it is always wise to learn new things. But it's always better to spend your time on something more valuable then less ;). I'm not sure if learning simple language is better at start. After all, all languages are kinda on the same level of complexity. I'm not talking about low-level programming languages like Assembler, but high-level languages are all the same. No matter if you pick JAVA, C# etc. in the end you are familiar with classes, functions, objects etc. And then there are paradigms like design patterns which you may use actually in any language, just the implementation differs a bit.

Simple language probably won't allow you do go in very details of the app memory mechanics etc, but after all you don't have to do it with the "big" languages also (but at least you have a choice).

Many years ago I started with Pascal language. It is quite simple. But usless after all. I have some friends who started with JAVA or ANSI C and they managed to go on as well. Simple language means nothing else then making you kinda handicapped in some cases.

But let's not go deeper. Talking about which language is better than the other is like talking about religion or politics. It's never ending story and everyone has it's own right ;).

Back to the topic, again I'm not discouraging at all! Learn to code, coding is fun. And regarding Construct's eventing. It's nothing else than a visual programming, so it is also coding, just you cannot make a typo :D
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm

neverk wrote:The more deep I dig into Godot the more excited I am.

Here is a really neat feature

Super cool!

Thanks for all the tips. I knew about Godot but I never spent much time to figure out how it works. Now, after read your posts I started to learn Godot yesterday and I really liked.

neverk wrote:@BackendFreak
I believe that learning a simple scripting language is a easy entry to more complex coding. As you said the principles are the same. Learning new things is always wise because all knowledge is somehow related. Simple scripting could be easily compared to Constructs eventing.

Live editing with godot

Wow! It's a realtime preview. Awesome.

BackendFreak wrote:This is the thing which always scared me out from GameMaker. Their own script language. And now Godot has their own one as well. It would be much better if they use some popular language. There are so many languages out there why to make another one?

When you spend your time to learn the popular language like JS, C# (w/e) then you still have some skills in hands even when you quit the engine. And now when you spend months mastering their own language, you are left with no power once you quit.

GDScript is based in Python, so it's not really a new language. It's just adapted their own needs. They talk about it in the tutorial.
Last edited by RBuster on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:11 pm

RBuster wrote:GDScript is based in Python, so it's not really a new language. It's just adapted their own needs. They talk about it in the tutorial.

That's a +1 for Godot. Or even +2 ;)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:36 pm

GODOT engine looks great but lacks any kind of mobile monetization options.
That's a shame :(

On topic: I agree with @neverk, Construct 2 makes HTML5 games, everything else is a hack.
And as has been said, a developer should be familiar with and willing to use different tools depending on the requirements.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:40 pm

I have some mixed feelings about C2. At first, I'm very happy I found it, it's incredible and everything.
One thing I'm somehow frustrated is, however, that I can't export my game to iOS without the status bar. On the website, it says it can be exported to iOS. With this, I expect to export without problems like this. It's like you go into a bike shop, buy a bike the seller says you can ride it everywhere, but then soon you realise you cannot ride it on some roads (let's say you cannot ride it on the street to your home, but you can ride it on the street to the shop, and no one knows why; they both look similar).

Anyway, I'm happy about C2, it helped me make many things and learn a lot.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:50 pm

FMFM wrote:(I'm pretty sure, he cannot reproduce it. Again. Because in his own paradise all works well).

That's technology and Murphy's law. It doesn't work when you need it; it works when you want to show it doesn't.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Wow! Godot seems like a dream editor. Have you seen how you can easily add sprites and curve it XD Godot makes you feel you are a real developer but I think it's too late to learn something new if you can just improve yourself in a specific program. You may not know, Construct 3 might be something like this, but not native...
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:07 pm

So sad that all of you are starting to pack up while we are just beginning to master the event editor. Well keep us updated XD
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:27 pm

mercedescolomar wrote:GODOT engine looks great but lacks any kind of mobile monetization options.
That's a shame :(

Monetizing game (In-app or Ads) and Google Services
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General