Timeframe for EXE exporter?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 am

^^^ That sounds cool. Frankly C2 is the best 2D engine out there I would rather make a game in that and export it to DMG or EXE.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:57 am

Awesomium may not be the best option since last time i looked it added 30MB of size to exe.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 am

Did it? Never really looked into it all that much, was just the first thing that popped into mind. What would you use instead?

Cheers
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:00 am

@Kiyoshi, any method to wrap a HTML5 app in an EXE is likely to add a lot to the filesize, since it basically has to contain an entire browser.

I fear this thread is going in circles - I've written a lot of discussion already on this thread so I'm not going to say any more, just that you should make sure you've read the entire thread.

I've also always encouraged people to use EXE wrappers themselves, since it ought to be straightforward. As I said before other than Steam I can't see the point, but if you want to you can. I did also try contacting Awesomium myself in case it was straightforward to make an official wrapper, but they don't seem to have got back to me which is disappointing. So let me know if any of the other wrappers work well for you!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 am

I hope someone does the Awesomium thing, for large projects 30mb isn't that much difference.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:34 am

Awesomium it is then!
I've just given it a go and all seems to be running fairly smooth actually (wrapping a really simple project that is). Anyhow, I'm gonna give it a go sometime this week and try to write a wrapper for you guys. Stay tuned!

Cheers
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:46 am

Good luck with that, talkinghead, there's a lot of people here who I'm sure will be ecstatic if you succeed. Myself included.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Extract from the how do I FAQ

Wrapping an exported project into .exe - LINK

There's been this wrapper around that apparently worked for quite some time already.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Huh... That must've slipped passed me. And just about everyone else, I imagine. Thanks for the link Kyatric, I'll be sure to check this out!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric]
There's been this wrapper around that apparently worked for quite some time already.
[/QUOTE]

So it seems. It just doesn't look like a very good implementation. I mean, it's a good effort, that's for sure. But either I'm doing something wrong, or does this implementation not work with relative paths? It seems like you need to define the absolute path to the index.html file in order for it to work, which would make distribution unnecessarily hard.

That, and the performance is rather flaky. Running the Space Blaster example shows that this wrapper has framerate issues.

At least it's a step in the right direction, but I do wonder... Do we really want to publish our games like this? I sure don't. It's like giving someone a website together with a portable browser. How is that even remotely acceptable?

I'll keep my eye out for the Awesomium implementation. From what I've seen it seems rather impressive.

I'll mention again that I'm definitely a critic, but I consider that a necessity.DryRoastedLemon2012-01-02 15:06:00
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General