Timeframe for EXE exporter?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 am

[QUOTE=Ashley]For example, if HTML5 performance gets good enough that an EXE exporter can only get a 10% performance edge, then an EXE wrapper around the HTML5 runtime should be perfectly adequate (possibly with a plugin to access Steam API features).[/QUOTE]

Is making an EXE wrapper much more feasible than a full exporter? And if so, are you more willing to work that in more quickly?

Again, I'm just trying to decide where to go from here. There aren't many places outside of Steam that are suited for products that aren't simple and casual, so if it doesn't look like I can get my project onto Steam, I'll put it aside and work on something else until I can. No pressure or anything, and I don't wanna sound like I'm attacking you, but... this stuff is important for us devs to know, y'know?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:46 am

I was read this topic carefully, and imho many users can not understand
restrictions of any game constructor.
Hey, look, many favourite and profitable games was made with fewer resources. Look at "Angry Birds" or "Worms!". You definitely can do same things by using Construct-2. For example it's possible even in GM (like this http://www.yoyogames.com/news/27). Construct-2 is definitely better even now, in beta stage.
You can create a masterpiece even with good 2D graph.
But why so many people try to make new MMORPG or another big projects without any small but look professional games in portfolio?

I remember 199x years, with Atari and ZX-Spectrum, when we had only 48k RAM and people do great games on ASM or C.

Why are you talking about Steam? Steam publishing required professionally made games. Even games on Steam made in Torque or another engine (not constructor!) was polished by "hands" with editing engine source code and etc.

Construct-2 is great thing to TEST your ideas. It perfect way to make your portfolio for future presentations (your projects or yourself as game designer). Without small but successful project *no one* will be talk with you about publishing on Steam or in any another serious place.

With Construct you can test your gameplay ideas. You can make simple presentation of future project for your dev team or investors. You can learn/develop some skills needed to build bigger and more complex games.

but if you want to make 1Gb RPG...correct me, if I wrong, but I am sure you need to lear C++ or C# and start using something from XNA framework to UDK SDK.

p.s. Our industry (game dev) need more good ideas, not programmers. We have *many* talented programmers, but we have only 1 or 2 really attractive gameplay ideas per year. This is why people sometimes play in 10+ years old games like Diablo-1 or "Little Big Adventure". This is why sites like http://www.gog.com/ are still profitable.
Come on, people still download and play on ZX-Spectrum emulators with 256 colors games!

Any user can made a new MOD on CryENGINE-3. But make a talented text MUD is MUCH harderDeusEx2011-10-30 05:23:11
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:44 am

I'd just like to point out that there's no such thing as a gig game.
Anything that big would have an exe that's some mere megabytes, and the rest is resources.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 am

I could see why they stick with HTML5 exporter however I have some questions, is it possible to play HTML5 offline? I have a laptop and I bring it to places where there is no wifi or free wifi in some cases, so it will be impossible to play HTML5 games online in such cases.

So what I wonder is, will it be possible to play Construct-made HTML5 games offline?

Adobe flash can make flash files to be played offline by exporting them as .swf files and run them without internet connection, so this is the only thing that is bothering me with HTML5.

if it is possible to play HTML5 offline then I am happy with that, I could see future games to be played in a browser. (anybody heard of Quake Live? it is one of the experimental games that run in a browser and so far it's going good)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:08 am

[QUOTE=LavaWave]So what I wonder is, will it be possible to play Construct-made HTML5 games offline?[/QUOTE]

This feature has been available for two releases now (since r63).Kyatric2011-10-30 07:08:54
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:40 am

I haven't been following Construct releases for a long time, thanks for confirming that.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:22 am

This shouldn't be read as a rant against html5 or me screaming for an exe exporter. I'm actually very pleased with c2, and am willing to fall back to cc if need be...

But of all the features that may or may not be implemented in the near or distant future, I'd have to say an exe exporter is far and away the most appealing to me.

Even for free games, even for casual games. Yes, browsers are convenient and good for many types of games - but I cannot get around the fact that I find them simply annoying. They get in the way of the game. Maybe other people like playing games in tiny windows while they browse facebook, but not me. The first thing I do when I find a good browser based game, is look for a way to download it and play it in fullscreen.

(this is usually doable in flash, but not quite as easy in html5 yet)

Don't get me wrong, I like casual games - and sometimes it can be preferable to play them in a window - but even then I'd prefer an exe to a firefox tab. As a player I don't like losing mouse focus just because I've hovered over the edge of a window, and as a developer, I don't like leaving so many variables up to the whims of the web browser. Essentially, the only browser I would be happy presenting my game in is one that is effectively invisible. No tabs, no pop ups, no non-game related menus, no address bar, no browser branding. Also, having to jump backward in terms of shaders and effects is quite frustrating.

But I'm not able to create my own browser... I mean, I'm using Construct to make the game - what does that tell you about my programming skills?

...but all that said. If an exe exporter never comes for C2. I'll use Construct Classic for any serious projects... just waiting for someone to add less atrocious aspect ratio handling.

Keep up the great work, no matter what my personal preferences are, the construct environment is hands down the best beginner game development software I've tried... hence the early adopter license.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 am

Can HTML5 support controllers/gamepads on windows/linux/mac?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:25 am

[QUOTE=alspal] Can HTML5 support controllers/gamepads on windows/linux/mac?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the best response to that will be about as reassuring as it was when I discovered the gamepad support in The Binding of Isaac consists of "google JoyToKey".
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, it's good to hear these opinions. Here's my comments:

[QUOTE=SullyTheStrange]Is making an EXE wrapper much more feasible than a full exporter?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is actually, and could be relatively straightforward to do. However, I'm worried about causing confusion if we do later release a "native" EXE exporter - I anticipate a lot of users confusing it with the HTML5 "wrapper" EXE, or not being clear on the difference (it may seem obvious to experienced users, but remember Construct 2 is aimed at largely non-technical users). So I would prefer it to be an "unofficial" or third party option, not integrated with the editor. Some people posted some links a while back already - perhaps it'd be worth double checking how well those work?

[quote=LavaWave]is it possible to play HTML5 offline?[/quote]
Someone's already confirmed you can, but I just want to link you to this tutorial on offline support which has more info.

[quote=plauk]The first thing I do when I find a good browser based game, is look for a way to download it and play it in fullscreen.[/quote]
Try making a game using one of the 'fullscreen in browser' options. Then hit F11. In the top 3 major browsers, you're now playing in hardware-accelerated fullscreen. Fullscreen gaming is perfectly possible in HTML5. The main barrier is people aren't used to it - like you say you assume you need an EXE to play fullscreen, but it's perfectly possible to do it in a browser, you probably have just never hit F11 to play a fullscreen browser game before.

There's even a Fullscreen API for HTML5 in the works.

[quote=alspal]Can HTML5 support controllers/gamepads on windows/linux/mac?[/quote]
Mozilla are working on a Joystick API for HTML5, which they'll probably push to have standardised. So hopefully real joystick and gamepad input (not joy2key) will be possible in HTML5 games.

Overall I think there's a big culture shift here - who expects to visit a web page and start playing a hardware-accelerated fullscreen game with shaders controlled by a gamepad which also works offline? However, it seems this will be possible in the near future. Then, remember that to download and install an EXE, the user must go through several intimidating security warnings. Added to that there's a very small but genuine risk of viruses, malware and adware whenever downloading EXEs from the web. Some non-technical users are advised simply never to download EXEs from the web as a general rule. Compare that to an ordinary web page.

HTML5 is a work in progress, but I think in the near future it will be doing a lot more than you expect!

Disclaimer: I'm still not saying we won't make an EXE exporter. HTML5 is unlikely to ever out-perform a native EXE, so there's still a solid case to make an EXE exporter for performance reasons. My main argument is that I don't think fullscreen or offline support require an EXE exporter, because HTML5 can do it already, people just don't realise.Ashley2011-10-30 12:48:58
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General