Timeframe for EXE exporter?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:04 am

To be honest the issue of wanting an EXE, at least for my part, has nothing to do with performance/reliability (or html5 suck blah blah blah...).

I believe that a main reason(and a very important one) is something like Steam/GamersGate/Desura. Its hard to ignore such juggernauts accepting indie devs, but you cannot do anything about it because your game is in html5. I'm pretty sure they will ask you for a binary format. They will even accept flash games as long they as are in binary format (like VVVVVV when it first came out on steam).

So the ideal thing for me is if at least there is an html5 wrapper would suffice, maybe with chromium or any other webkit implementation (hmm I wonder if they support webgl). Monetization is extremely important for many users, and right now due to the early stage of construct 2, we can only have the html5 exporters (and fo course phonegap and chrome :)) (which is fine of course n_n).

But I think its important to understand that many people buy and download exes, even if the consumer doesn't realize it, through other channels like steam.

And yes, Kiyoshi put it kind of blunt, but also kind of true: "How do i make money with HTML5? Right now i don't."

At least without chrome web store (which is awesome, but I feel its too small an audience).

That said, kudos for making the experimental Phonegap integration. I'm sure many of us(I do) is very happy for that implementation, even if its experimental.

I think many understand that this will take a lot of time.. its just a matter of patience.. everything will sort out :)
B
G

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:55 pm

My opinion is that HTML5 is better than EXE
because it is more secure , will be native ( i think ) , Will run on all browser (i hope), and do not need to be downloaded , but this technology is not stable for every browser i think we need to wait a little before publishing the EXE because i am sure that soon the html5 will be popular and the EXE will not be used alot

So continue @Ashley on working on the HTML5 and when you finish think about the EXE
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey just my 2p here,

very much agree with edwoodgrant. While there's nothing inherently wrong with HTML5, the commercial market is just not there yet. Partly because of lacking browser support (this will of course change in the future), partly because of lacking distribution models (this will also most probably change in the future).

That being said, an .exe wrapper isn't really all that difficult to code. I can probably look into that and use something like awesomium if theres enough interest.

Cheers
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Ouch. I can't quote anything, but I remember that quite some time ago (long before the site's new design anyway) it was relatively certain that there was going to be an EXE exporter. This, plus the polish of the product, were the main reasons why I had a great interest in C2. While I understand that HTML5 is a very interesting platform, I don't find it to be interesting at all for developing games other than simple browser based games. Why would you want to play anything but simple games in a browser anyway? I find all arguments involving that using EXE's is difficult to be false. If you can read, you can use EXE's. It is as simple as that. Period.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh on that side, but I have very strong opinions on this. If we're talking about game development, you need an EXE exporter.
Anyway, I will keep following the C2 developtment, but I won't be going for the early-adopter thing if I'm not even sure I will find this tool to be useful for what I'm aiming for.

It's quite alright though. I'll just go back to using Construct Classic and Game Maker 8.1, both very solid products.
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Keep in mind the only real commitment that's been made is to finish html5.
That in and of itself is a huge undertaking for one person. Then you have to take into account that html5 is constantly evolving across the browsers, and "finished" is going to be subjective for that reason.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:26 pm

[QUOTE=newt] Keep in mind the only real commitment that's been made is to finish html5.
That in and of itself is a huge undertaking for one person. Then you have to take into account that html5 is constantly evolving across the browsers, and "finished" is going to be subjective for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. That's also why I find the focus on HTML5 to be a rather strange decision. While the platform is definitely interesting (and at the time in no way, shape or form a replacement of desktop games/apps), it just doesn't seem mature enough at the moment.
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Just to chime in here, I would really love to see an .exe exporter. Me and a few mates of mine recently decided to work on a last year project, and we have a set of very talented musicians and film editors working on the project. I'm concerned about the bandwith issues with HTML and we've only recently started and our Audio folder is about 120MB and our Video folder is about 350mb. Though the files are uncompressed yet, we're predicting that the size will still expand rather rapidly. What do you propose would be an alternative solution for large size projects?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I haven't followed this thread so Im not sure if this has been brought up.
http://www.quora.com/HTML5/How-can-I-package-an-HTML5-application-into-an-executable

Im sure something like this will exist soon where you can make an HTML5 thing and then export it to DMG and EXE. That would be awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm

[QUOTE=kbdmaster]... and the EXE will not be used alot
[/QUOTE]

Might I point out how incredibly unlikely this is? This may be possible for small casual games, but this simply will never happen for big titles.

Why is there so much talk about EXE's as if they're some archaic and unstable kind of technology? Aren't most of us above-average computer users who should know better than that?

The only use for HTML5 I see is a replacement for Flash. That is something that I would love to see, since Flash is the very bane of the internet. For bigger titles it does not seem even remotely interesting.
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Mammoth thats what I was talking about earlier. I'll probably attempt writing a simple wrapper using the awesomium framework (http://awesomium.com/) some time this week.

Also, filesize is a legit concern...

Cheers
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General