Timeline example for game dialogue

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 pm

oh, you can do that in events by comparing timer as well. But this plugin is kind of more flexible because periods happen other other periods, and u can cut a period short...so its like the timeline is a bit more dynamic.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that timelines in Game Maker generally attach to an object, and then the code in the timeline executes as if it were dealing with the object itself. Therefore, you can create generic timelines which might make an object shake or spawn explosions around it and then that timeline can be used on any object you attach it to.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:22 pm

That's pretty awesome. I think I've spotted a bug though. If I click on my timeline in the layout editor, then on edit and create another timeline (timeline 2) inside the timeline editor then I can't delete that new timeline anymore.

Is that intended?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Pretty nice!

Also, about that bug... it seems that when you select a timeline within the timeline editor, it actually doesn't get selected. Like selecting Intro doesn't show it, after you've created another timeline.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Right, happens here too. Also, if you add a period, you can't delete that one either. It only disappears once you delete the name of the period, which is kinda... not obvious.

Also, how do I make interchangable text? Like, two characters talking? I'd imagine I'd simply set the 'Start' Value of one period to 'After XXX' - but there's only 'After previous' and 'With previous', so no joy. It'd be nice if Construct would simply list all the periods across all timelines in that rollout bar, so we could simply pick the one we'd need.

Example: I have 2 timelines in my timeline object, one is called Bill, the other is called Bob.

I start with Bills timeline:

Start: After previous, Name: 01, set the text for the parameter 1 (a bigger textfield would be neat too, so we could actually write dialogue ;)) and jump over to the Bob timeline. Now it's Bobs turn:

Start: After Bill('01'), Name: 01, set the text for the parameter.

Pretty simple, especially if Construct would index the existing 'Name' fields for me whenever I click on a 'Start' rollout field.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Not to revive an old topic or anything, but just wanted to say "Thanks for this example David! It's really helped me understand how this works. :D"
B
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:01 am

This one crashes for me every time I get to the 3 second delay message, or the move V message if I skip the delay. No useful error messages I'm afraid, just "unexpected error".
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm

To clarify some of the above bugs, they should all be fixed in the next build, so report back then :).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 pm

[quote="Rich":367rqfrq]To clarify some of the above bugs, they should all be fixed in the next build, so report back then :).[/quote:367rqfrq]

Hmm, now it's even weirder. I click into the parameter textfield and everything goes crazy. If I add a new period and wanna set the text for the parameter and hit enter to accept it, it just says '0' or '-1'.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 pm

[quote="thomasmahler":2ivuj38g][quote="Rich":2ivuj38g]To clarify some of the above bugs, they should all be fixed in the next build, so report back then :).[/quote:2ivuj38g]

Hmm, now it's even weirder. I click into the parameter textfield and everything goes crazy. If I add a new period and wanna set the text for the parameter and hit enter to accept it, it just says '0' or '-1'.[/quote:2ivuj38g]

Confirmed, it seems that Timeline is broken. I've submitted a report to tracker.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files