Tips for an isometric game

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Is my understanding correct that there aren't any tilemap-based isometric methods currently available?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:00 pm

You can, but it's pretty complicated graphically, and it would only be for backgrounds, or foregrounds that don't require z sorting.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:35 pm

isometric view: is possible, but not easy. I think the most of the C2 users gave up, because this is too complicate.

for 2.5D or 3D you have to look for another software: buildbox has a video in YouTube with a isometric sample (but I have no idea how it works) but games like the screenshot you posted is made with unity3d, autodesk stingray or another high professional game engine.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll go with the built in sorting method @newt suggested. The layer and optimization tips will also sure be handy. We are aiming for a minimalist graphics style so animations are currently not a concern.

I ran the possible logic in my head today (I didn't have the time to try it in a prototype yet). However I'm still not sure how I'll get the "walking behind buildings" part work. Does the sorting take care of this as well? Or should I carefully assign the origin point of each object for the sorting to handle this? We're still not sure about the angle we're going to use for the images..

Regarding collisions, is it enough if I just set the collision polygon for the base square of a building?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Maybe my old video on level construction in my isometric game will give you some ideas on how I built everything and some of the challenges. And yes, everything has to be broken into small pieces with the origin point at the base of the object for sorting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWwp2FFCAA
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 pm

DrewMelton wrote:Maybe my old video on level construction in my isometric game will give you some ideas on how I built everything and some of the challenges. And yes, everything has to be broken into small pieces with the origin point at the base of the object for sorting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWwp2FFCAA

Thank you. It was very informative and helpful.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General