To All The Pseudo-Companies

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:07 pm

@DrewMelton unless you want to pay the money to protect your company name and incorporate/copyright/etc, then it's mainly just googling to make sure the name you want isn't taken, and saying that's your chosen company name.

Then you can go through buying the domain name for it (.com, sometimes .net is good too), set up a website and media stuff etc

But, this doesn't really protect you legally from intellectual property theft, I don't think that's possible without paying for it.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Cool, thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Awesome,Its great to see how different people feel about this topic.Just to put this out there,I dont have anything against entrepreneurs and i know that everyone starts at the bottom.With that being said it makes more sense for a new person or even an older user of any engine to get knowledgeable information regarding business.Alot of people lose money in this fashion or even lose attraction of players not because of gameplay reasons,But for unprofessionalism.Its only my honest opinion but everyone should hold themselves to some standard of professionalism,even games with quirky or cartoonish or maybe even crude themes still hold that value close.
To Sum It Up-Do What You Feel And Feel What You Want
Thanks everyone for your replies I love this community
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:34 pm

You truely didnt understand the advertising aspect, dont u?

Its absolutely essential to have a "brand" behind a product. Of course, the product needs to be good, but why not make a blog and that stuff from the very beginning? That gains attention and good feedback on your progress keeps you motivated as well!
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

[QUOTE=Beaverlicious] You truely didnt understand the advertising aspect, dont u?

Its absolutely essential to have a "brand" behind a product. Of course, the product needs to be good, but why not make a blog and that stuff from the very beginning? That gains attention and good feedback on your progress keeps you motivated as well![/QUOTE]

I have nothing against this,if its done in a profesional fashion.
Showing off the progress of development is always a good thing,Just make sure everything is done correctly before you go and say you are a legit company or brand.Thats all im saying and i speak in a general fashion since ive experienced alot of these Pseudo-Companies.
GMO FOOD = DEATH
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 am

I think that having a Company name is a good thing as long it is used correctly.

Like Aphrodite stated "I'd rather play games from the same guys if their work pleases me, so having a way to find them is still a good thing"

For example at the moment I am only one developer so I can use my nickname or even my real name, but if more people join me and we create a team, that team should have a name. You can even call this a "Brand" like Beaverlicious said.

And is damn hard to come with something good that is not already taken ... Trust me, I'm trying for months go think of one
Also domain names .com and .net are a b!tck ... If they are not taken, they cost a "premium" price. And almost all the domains that are taken are actually not used, only kept busy in order to resell them at a bigger price.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 am

Well, sometimes there is a real registered business name behind the user. Some of us are already using C2 professionally!

Take us, for example. We have three people working on a game, so this might lead to a mildly schizophrenic sounding posts, as sometimes it's just me (the designer) posting and referring to 1st person - and sometimes we are announcing something as a team.

I see what you mean, tho. Doesn't bother me at all.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:32 am

@robotecollective

"I see what you mean, tho. Doesn't bother me at all."

propably real devs are so busy, so they just focus on their work :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:32 am

We went the whole route... We registered our business "BluePhaze Creations LLC", then filed our fictitious/"Doing Business As" name "BluePhaze Creations". Since you can't Trademark the name of a business you have to trademark the fictitious name, again in our case this is "BluePhaze Creations". The trademark is to protect anything used to represent your company in commerce including aliases, names, logos... but not actual products. The law on trademarks has recently changed (I work at a law firm specializing in this stuff, though I am not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth), currently the new law states the first person/company to file for the trademark is the one who get's it. This is different from the past where the first person who used it publicly (before filing officially) was the one who got to keep it.

Products is where the copyright comes in. Copyrights protect your products themselves and there are different categories. Copyrights are much cheaper than trademarks but protect only a specific creation.

You get an automatic (Common Law) trademark on any branding that you use publicly (As long as nobody else is not already using it in the same or similar line of business), and automatic copyright on any creation you make that is not a copy of someone else's existing work. However, it is harder to prove these in court than it is with a federally registered trademark or copyright. Also, under the law (U.S. Law - I don't know about other countries) being officially registered with the government gives you an automatic minimum reward for damages if you do go to court with someone trying to use your property of around $100,000. I don't remember if this is for copyrights or trademarks, but hell, it is worth it if you ever need it.

Anyway, that is just what I have picked up this year since forming our company, etc... just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 am

People have been doing this since forever. It's not something exclusive to the C2 community. Nothing inherently wrong about it either.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General