To All The Pseudo-Companies

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 am

People have been doing this since forever. It's not something exclusive to the C2 community. Nothing inherently wrong about it either.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 am

Having a "company" is fine. Branding is important. But avoid the temptation to call yourself CEO, especially when you try to "hire" a freelancer with a profit-share deal or credits (hard to pay rent with)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 am

CEO?? No one wants to be so unimportant.....^^

As Homer Simpson once said in his insane greatness: "Junior-Vice-President" is the man to be!!^^Beaverlicious2014-01-20 11:29:44
https://www.helmade.com
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Well we didn't register a company, we just wanted a team name for when the 3 of us enter Ludum Dare and so on. It's just a hobby, but we still wanted a logo and a website, mainly because it was all pretty fun to set up. Does this approach come across as being unprofessional? At no point anywhere do we say we're a 'company'.
If we ever make anything good then maybe we might take it to the next level, and we'd already have the bare bones of a website/logo set up. I really don't see the harm in doing this stuff, as long as you're honest about your goals/setup and you aren't trying to deceive anybody.

(PS, I've just given myself a new job title: 'Director of Awesome')
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

i think you guys are missing the point

what @RookieDev is pointing is not against the creation of a company/team/studio.

i think what he is trying to say is this: the same passion we have building our project, we could put some of this care in the business/non-programming side

and i agree, taking the leap from a hobby to a job is really important and should be something you have to think about carefully; and is really complicated when you have a "team" and need to be more organized about the paper work (think about it, you want to spend months on a project and in the end you have nothing since you are not registered as one of the creators?)

this is a little off but the 6th topic is very accurate:

Derek Yu - Finishing a Game

B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Another important aspect of forming a company is protection. If you are just a group of people using a name to publish with, then if you ever get sued by another company you are all getting sued for your personal assets/money/home, etc...

Forming a company (depending on the type) gives you protection to protect yourself and your work. For example, we formed an LLC as it lets us do our taxes like normal (same as a partnership) but also protects our personal money if the company ever has issues or gets sued. With a basic partnership you get no protection whatsoever.

So regardless of whether you are passionate about your games or your business, protect yourself. That is the same logic for getting trademarks and copyrights. If you create it, protect it. Or someone else can come a long and take it all.

Losing everything is a quick way to kill your passion about it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Nothing wrong about this practice. I had Notion for a couple of years before ever paying to make it an LLC. It creates a name for any of the projects regardless of who is or isn't apart of the creation process.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Look. I'm gunna be honest, the practice of finding a hobby, getting super into it, making a huge hullabaloo about it, making a name, a brand, giving yourself a "job" title, and then three months down the line when you can't keep up with the work... is at it's absolute WORST, sort of annoying.

At worst.

So there's absolutely no use making a huge fuss over it.
People have been doing that basically forever. It's not exclusive to game development and it's certainly not exclusive to the Construct community. Crap, I've been guilty of it myself with some things (painting and jewelry making come to mind. Oh my poor abandoned etsy shop).
So yeah...
No need to be uppity about it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Hobby?

This is a freakin lifestyle.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 am

Since nobody has directly linked to it yet, here's the official search (read: public records) for United States registered trademarks.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/ (then click "Basic Word Mark Search")

It's known as TESS (Trademark Electronic Search System). And before starting a company, website, or even pseudo-company, in the US, I'd suggest doing a quick search to see if the name is taken or not. It will just prevent possible future complications.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General