To buy or not to buy, that's the question...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi everyone, I am a digital artist, been working on AAA games for almost 10 years now, but now I want to start doing my own things, and what better way than to make a super polished pixel art platformer inspired by the game that made me want to join a career in video games.

The dilemma being that I have a very artistic brain and no matter how much you explain coding and scripting to me, I will never get it, so I decided to use a simple ready editor. I gave a shot at first with fusion 2.5, but I could not get very far, so a colleague suggested construct 2 and I am finding it a lot easier but I have reached the limit on what the free version can offer in terms of events and later numbers.

Before I commit to a purchase i want to check your honest opinions on a few things.

1. I noticed most of the stuff runs in web browser, likewise can only export to web, which worries me because it limits my future publishing options. Can project be easily exported as PC executables or compatible for hand held or consoles?

2. If the engine code is written in Java, a language even I know as a non-coder to be horribly sluggish and full of issues, doesn't that mean any game I make will have serious performance issues? Especially because I love to do massive levels and lots of parallax, like 10+ layers or so.

3. I am trying to create a metroidvania, so think of all the stuff a game like that needs, like save States, huge maps, rpg features and the likes, so can all this be achieved with c2?

4. If you could suggest another engine for someone like me with my game needs, what should it be?

Thanks a lot!
B
6
Posts: 14
Reputation: 278

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi -

1. You export a project as HTML5, which actually is (HTML 5 + CSS + Javascript) ; publishing to web sites is trivial, but it's also a very portable technology, so with a few additional exporting steps, plugins and wrappers you can get your HTML5 game to work "as" a desktop application (wrapped in "simplified" browser/renderer that presents itself as a normal window to the user) or mobile application.
As long as your target platform can process HTML5 content, it's all good ; this includes Windows/MacOS/Android/iOS/WiiU. Note that depending on the platform, the export process might not be trivial, and sometimes you have to fiddle with 3rd party development tools.

2. Java is not Javascript. Javascript is light weight and browsers are very efficient at processing it. The language will not be a limiting factor ; knowing the platform, understanding performance and dealing with restrictions (resources sizes, etc.) will be essential though ; it's very easy to create very inefficient content even with very efficient technology.
Also, big companies are investing massively on Javascript these days ; Google are going with native compilers and javascript subsets focused on performance, while Microsoft is going with TypeScript, a superset that compiles to javascript to facilitate the job of programmers. All in all, while that won't affect you directly, it means in the long run it's a pretty safe bet.

3. Yes

4. Nothing comes to mind ; other interesting technologies are either lower level (frameworks for programmers), more complex (e.g. Unity, with a much steeper learning curve), or slightly dated. C2 is the right balance in terms of functionalities/accessibility and has incredible productivity. Just be aware that "events" are very similar to "programming" in terms of logic ; it removes a lot of the complexity but you'll still need to understand how to create your gameplay logic. For "big" projects, a "programmer mind" can help to structure the events in a maintainable way.

Hope that helps
Image
B
23
S
9
Posts: 237
Reputation: 2,207

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:43 pm

Black Rabbit wrote:Hi everyone, I am a digital artist, been working on AAA games for almost 10 years now, but now I want to start doing my own things, and what better way than to make a super polished pixel art platformer inspired by the game that made me want to join a career in video games.

The dilemma being that I have a very artistic brain and no matter how much you explain coding and scripting to me, I will never get it, so I decided to use a simple ready editor. I gave a shot at first with fusion 2.5, but I could not get very far, so a colleague suggested construct 2 and I am finding it a lot easier but I have reached the limit on what the free version can offer in terms of events and later numbers.

Before I commit to a purchase i want to check your honest opinions on a few things.

1. I noticed most of the stuff runs in web browser, likewise can only export to web, which worries me because it limits my future publishing options. Can project be easily exported as PC executables or compatible for hand held or consoles?

2. If the engine code is written in Java, a language even I know as a non-coder to be horribly sluggish and full of issues, doesn't that mean any game I make will have serious performance issues? Especially because I love to do massive levels and lots of parallax, like 10+ layers or so.

3. I am trying to create a metroidvania, so think of all the stuff a game like that needs, like save States, huge maps, rpg features and the likes, so can all this be achieved with c2?

4. If you could suggest another engine for someone like me with my game needs, what should it be?

Thanks a lot!


Think Refeuh answered your questions quite good. Just want to add, that since you say you are an artist and have problems understanding programming and you have already reached the limits in the free edition. You should by now have an ok understanding on how C2 works and how to make it do different things. So if you find that to be easy enough to understand, my guess is that C2 is probably a good program for you to use. Because even though its as Refeuh say you still have to understand the logic of programming, the way of coding is a lot more visual than one where you have to type everything in as text.
B
44
S
11
G
2
Posts: 1,182
Reputation: 6,828

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Cool, thanks, my main concern is hitting a wall with something I cannot implement because of lack of understanding.

If anything at least I would be able to make a good demo to use as example.

If anyone else has more to add, please do!
B
6
Posts: 14
Reputation: 278

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Black Rabbit wrote:Cool, thanks, my main concern is hitting a wall with something I cannot implement because of lack of understanding.

If anything at least I would be able to make a good demo to use as example.

If anyone else has more to add, please do!

You will most likely hit a wall, think everyone does at some point, but people on the forum is pretty good at helping out with stuff like that, so probably someone will be able to explain it to you or show you how to do it, so wouldn't worry to much about that.
B
44
S
11
G
2
Posts: 1,182
Reputation: 6,828

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:46 pm

My two cents and welcome aboard. ;-)
Like every tool, there are limitations, of course. That's expected.
You need to carefully evaluate all of its do's and don'ts before buying.

I wouldn't count on a single tool for every project.
I say these things because I'm a software developer and DBA for living
and could be using HTML5, Javascript or C++ directly. Still there
are some projects which require me to do it that way or because of the challenge. :-)

But I'm also a musician and game designer in my limited free time.
Since time is a valuable resource for hobbyists like me, I value tools that help
me implement my game designing ideas in a quick pace.
So for me, after working with many game makers and programming languages
Construct 2 is one of the best. I can easily prototype my idea while it's fresh (very important for me)
You can make a professional game with it provided you know how to deal with memory, sprite size, cache and
how the event editor works (don't put all your heavy stuff in the "every tick" action, for instance).
Some people give up or blame the engine for their lack of understanding on how optimization works.

Construct 2 is easily one of my best acquisitions.
But if I need to develop a database application I'll use Java. See what I mean?
Good luck and I wish you success on your projects.
B
48
S
13
Posts: 111
Reputation: 3,859

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Black Rabbit wrote:4. If you could suggest another engine for someone like me with my game needs, what should it be?
Thanks a lot!

Maybe Unreal Engine 4 with blueprints. But as it was said before me, the other engines are either more complex (like Unreal Engine 4), more limited, or outdated.

byondisoft wrote:Construct 2 is easily one of my best acquisitions.


I can't agree more. I've also tried several other engines, but for me, C2 is the best. I can use other programming languages (even if not on senior level), but the effectiveness and easy use of the event system makes Construct 2 my primary engine for my projects.

But please note before purchasing: Construct 2 is a HTML5 engine, and so will be Construct 3 in the far future. Currently you can target browsers, Windows, Linux, MAC, WiiU and all major mobile platforms (however great optimization is required for the latter ones). Also, be preapared to run into problems you can't solve (this comes with every programming method, even with visual programming) and don't hesitate to ask this community for help :) Welcome here.
B
128
S
33
G
17
Posts: 1,551
Reputation: 20,488

Post » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:40 pm

C2
Major in 2d game programing.
Minor in publication.

That pretty much sums it up.
Image ImageImage
B
168
S
50
G
163
Posts: 8,224
Reputation: 105,067

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 am

@Black Rabbit

Mine expiriences are like this:

working in C2 is awesome and support from community is excellent but publishing is total mess.
C2 dont suply their own publishing solution but it relys on others, 3rd party services, wich means a whole lot of problems and non compatibility issues that you will encounter.

BR
B
26
S
11
G
2
Posts: 669
Reputation: 5,038

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:43 am

irina wrote:@Black Rabbit

Mine expiriences are like this:

working in C2 is awesome and support from community is excellent but publishing is total mess.
C2 dont suply their own publishing solution but it relys on others, 3rd party services, wich means a whole lot of problems and non compatibility issues that you will encounter.

BR


Thanks, I have been a bit worried about stuff like that, because obviously I would never be able to solve those if they happen (unlike other issues which happens in-engine).

Some friends also suggested Unity Playmaker, but with being a 3D camera I wonder if the pixels gets approximated/bled and if working in general on a pixel art based platformer is a lot more complicated than here.
B
6
Posts: 14
Reputation: 278

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests