To Infinity...! The never-ending game

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:40 am

@Rhindon i'm working on one right now, not a flappy clone, but an infinity type of game with elements from the type of game i like, trying to make it work, hopefully something i can enjoy playing as well as the new generation
Doo Doo Diving App Store | Google Play

Donut Pirate App Store | Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 am

@jayderyu - Excellent points. I didn't take the high score factor into mind, either. I guess I was thinking on bare-bones terms.

@TheDoctor - Be sure to post it here! :)

@hollowthreat - *GRINS* Well, my comment about Flappy Bird was just a bit of a joke given what I have perceived to be disdain for the game. I don't really care, either way. A friend of mine made his own variation of Flappy Bird with a couple of twists. I play it and enjoy it.

Do you have any screen shots for your game yet? Do share!

@mrnannings - Heh heh. Well, the one I'm about to finish now is an absurdly simple platformer. Random platforms of different lengths that randomly generate coins to collect. Don't land on the ground, and it'll keep the coin value multiplier on the up-and-up. There's a bird flapping behind - maybe it's flappy bird angry that he got taken off the market (but I didn't intend it to be that way LOL) - who randomly spits bouncing eggs that will *AHEM* EGGsplode after a few seconds. This was purely a challenge given to me to try my hand at a simple game (I tend to think REALLY big and that can hinder me if I'm not careful).

Another infinite runner game I started on is where this "box" generates random other boxes that go either up or down in this narrow corridor. A machine follows behind endlessly...it has two electric crushing arms to smash those released boxes so they don't get deeper into the corridor. The trick is to time it so the arms smash accordingly above or below (they operate independently). Not to mention random power up icons that you have to click on in the middle of it all to make your crushing arms wider for a time.

These are my first two ventures into the infinite runner genre. They're lacking in polish, for sure.
I'm seeking Narnia. Who wants to come with me! Aslan is on the move!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 am

@Rhindon cool, whats your friends game called?

yeah i'll start posting about my new game soon, the visual isn't quite there yet, and i don't like to share ugly game haha ;)
Doo Doo Diving App Store | Google Play

Donut Pirate App Store | Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 pm

@hollowthreat - Look up Flappy Hal on Facebook or Android.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm really into Flappy Bird right now :p

I think a really compelling infinite runner could have lots of small variations possible that could be combined in many ways to feel fresh. Oh, this guy has a leather jacket and red boots? TOTALLY DIFFERENT. And the mechanics need to be tuned to perfection, obvs, because you're asking them to play it forever.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 am

@ChrisAlgoo - Such a simple genre yet seemingly requires so much! LOL Who knew?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 am

This particular genre has gone quite stale until the Flappy craze, endless runners and variants are cloned ad-nauseum. It's actually quite difficult to imagine a fresh take on it...

But here's my take on this infinite genre, with a twist. It's part SHMUP part Visual Puzzle with a lot of fancy particles thrown in and two spaceships.

Firewall: Sci-Fi Puzzle on Android.

Try and tell me if its stale or different.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:06 am

@Silverforce - Well dude, I must say the visuals are SPECTACULAR and the challenge is steady.
I do find the inability do anything about the fire rate or the shields to be a tad annoying. An occasional power-up to remove them or temporarily improve your odds would be nice. But that said, it's a CLEAN piece of work! I'm keeping it on my phone. :)
And the music is QUITE fitting!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:33 am

@Rhindon Thanks, your words give me some hope! Oh, I had lots of ideas to complicate it but then decided to stick to a simple approach and keep it minimalist. With powerups and such, it became a shmup and less of a puzzle.

I had coded in a additional challenge, ie. When the background colour changed and it matched a shield colour, you can fire through that shield! But again it doesn't add much while detracting from the minimalism.. so the current version just has changing bg color but no code to deactivate shield. I might add it in a future update.

Ideally these endless games should be extremely simplistic so they appeal to a huge audience.

ps. Post your top scores, I'd like to see how well others do. Also, in particular, girls and how well they are able to play this game. I find they do not cope very well with all the fast moving objects. I have yet to have a female player past a score of 14... not kidding you, this is after many friends tried it, they are awesome at Candy Crush or matching puzzles but fail hard at this one.
Last edited by Silverforce on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:59 am

@Silverforce - I WONDERED about the changing BG color! Now I know! :D
I'll play a few rounds again and post a pic. :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General