To pixel art or not to pixel art?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 pm

So my game "Psi" is on Greenlight and Kickstarter now. I am hearing some criticisms of the art style on Greenlight so I'm considering changing the graphics up a bit. I know that most successful indie games go in the pixel art direction. Below I have 3 images. The first is the original, the 2nd is pixel art and the 3rd has an adobe elements filter on it. It would take me a day to switch to either of these looks. I would be interested to hear from the community which they think is best. Thank you my friends!

B
S

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 pm

I guess with pixel art that the user's brain gets to "interpolate" what isn't there so that's kind of fun. :D
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 pm

The first is fine in my opinion, the 2nd just feels like we draw 1 on N pixels and stretch, I don't like it at all and find it to be cheap pixel art style, it is not crisp and clear like older games, it is just processed at a lower res it seems, you cannot even read the Extreme cold, just ... I cannot say yes to that.

The third one, errr... maybe, the picture is not enough to see how that will feel.

You have gone with one art style, you can't simply switch out to another one without reworking it, when a game does actual pixel art, it is done to be pixel art, not converted from a picture to feel like it.

Just choose what you think represents the game, not what people think they want, or what successful ones do blindly like that.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:59 pm

If I went with pixel art, I wouldn't just downrez - why waste all of that perfectly good memory? I would spend some time and do it right, it just seems that pixel art gets a lot more slack. It's SUPPOSED to look crappy, LOL.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm

More than the art or style itself its important to match every element with the same art style.

You should just pick the one your most comfortable with and stick.
Pixel art helps by narrowing the options (less colors solid edges etc. but you must build from zero to get it right. Avoid filters it shows (in a bad way).

I would Pick the first image/style as defined by the main protagonist. A Solid color and "fury" details to represent shape. Apply it to everything. The danger poster, The graffiti letters, The blood blobs on the ground don't match.
The health bars don't match to but if you match it with all the GUI elements it might work do.

I do like the main protagonist art, I would be disapointed if she can´t do something with her boots.
working on Rally Racing
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks for the input. You don't like the boots, eh? I heard that somewhere else today.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I do like the boots! But since they stand in the characters outfit, as much as the V on her head, I expect that they do some trick.
V -->PSI
Boots--> Stomping ground for greater PSI effect or something
Otherwise have the boots black like the gloves. Again is all about consistency.
Just my 2c, dont get cought in nitpicking.
working on Rally Racing
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:47 pm

PSI wrote: it just seems that pixel art gets a lot more slack.

Well if you make ugly pixel art, people will still not like it. The problem isn't you not using pixel art, it's simply how the game looks. The colours you are using are very dark and dingy and the overall presentation of the game feels quite outdated. Obviously, there's the animations that everyone keeps moaning about, but that can be fixed easily.

I'd say update the colour palette and give the art "more of a comic book thick lined cel shaded look", as someone commented on your greenlight page.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:39 pm

You may want to read this article by an incredible artist on the struggles of creating good art. He mostly talks about pixel art vs HD graphics, but also touches on what makes animations good or bad. It may be a good read if you are struggling with which direction to go, or how to improve what you have.

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-ar ... pixel-art/
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 pm

#2 is not pixel art and no it's not supposed to look crappy...
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General