To pixel art or not to pixel art?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the input all! I was just messing around @Tokinsom - I like a lot of pixel art and respect the art form. Actually, I think people doing it right probably spend more time and put more effort in than conventional illustrators. I remember when all games were pixel art!
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:58 pm

#2 doesn't really look like pixel art. It looks like the original Diablo does now. Looked great back in 1996, but not now.

You'll want to focus on consistency more than anything. Throwing a filter on afterwards...doesn't look very good.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:02 pm

The key to successful graphic design is consistency. Games look bad when they're a mismatch of different art styles, and pixel art offers a simple, easy to follow methodology.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:42 pm

I used some filters and changed the resolution on my game as examples - I knew that it wasn't actual pixel art. @blekdar - you make me like it if it looks like diablo! Those first two are still my favorite games ever!
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:52 pm

Hmm, pixelart is very greatful for harder themes. a good example is the game "gods will be watching". In this game the player are coming frequently in very bad situations (hostage taking,, tortured in jail, shooting a child...) Its very heavy topics and its very hard to play it, but the pixelart give you more distance (see it not detailed as "hatred", "postal" or "Spec Ops - The Line". The Consumption is for the user a bit pleasant and more people are playing it. An another example are the serious-games "Papers please": In this game you play a worker in a dictatur-system or the game "This war is mine" (Carbon-Pencil-Style): You play a civilian-group at war. I think often the people say "its Retro". But i think its a beautyful stand alone Art.

@Elliott: I have played some games with different art styles. Sure, its harder to find the right middleway. But some games are beautyful. Example: Often are texts in pixelgames are a problem because the space. Gods will be watching have higher resolution-text. and it bites not :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General