Todays challenge: Top down SPS

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:05 am

[quote="newt":3o4ngpcj]
Let me clear this up a bit. What I'm looking for is something similar to the Ghost shooter tut, but with the player always facing north. The camera would be behind the player just a bit, and all the objects, and backgrounds would rotate into view as the players angle changes.[/quote:3o4ngpcj]

That is still a third person shooter for some reason.
Unless the in that view you are actually a second person shooting over the first person. :lol:
Now that's a second person shooter. :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Well its not first person, and its not third person, but it is something no ones come up any ideas for. :roll:
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Perspective in games is derived from literary terminology. If you are experiencing it as the player, then it's first person. If you see the player in the game world, then it's third person.

In literary terms, first person is when a story is written from the perspective of the main character. "I went to the graveyard." Third person is written from the perspective of the reader. "He went to the graveyard."

Second person is a rare and tricky form of literature where the reader is actually a character in the story. "You (the reader) went to the graveyard." It's not used very often in literature. Second person doesn't really have a gaming equivalent that I can think of. Dance Dance Revolution, maybe. Or WiiFit.

Half Life and Shadowgate are both first person games, even though Shadowgate is 2D. Resident Evil and Super Mario Bros. and the Ghost Shooter tut are all third person games.

From what you said here:

[quote="newt":3jvlwt4x]The camera would be behind the player just a bit, and all the objects, and backgrounds would rotate into view as the players angle changes.[/quote:3jvlwt4x]

You're still describing third person, just an unusual way of rendering the view.

Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding you :P. Do you have a mockup or example of what you mean?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:04 pm

Geez
First person is the person doing the talking.
I'm going over here now.
Second person is the person being talked to.
You go over there now.
Third person is the person being talked about.
Then he went over there.
So you see third person shooter isn't literally literarily correct for games that show the player... unless its in replay mode. :P

Bleh screw it I'm finding more bugs than figuring stuff out.
I was going to try the layer rotation thing, but tiled backgrounds are acting weird with layer rotation.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm

[quote="newt":2qwpop74]Third person is the person being talked about.
Then he went over there.
So you see third person shooter isn't literally literarily correct for games that show the player... unless its in replay mode. :P [/quote:2qwpop74]

No, it's not completely analogous to the literary term, but that's what it means in in gaming terminology. When you see the main character in the game world then it's 3rd person. You see the character and the game world from an omniscient point of view. Saying "I gotta jump on the goomba" is incorrect, because Mario is the one who has to jump on the goomba. The player is a third entity that is separate from character (Mario) and storyteller (Super Mario Bros.), hence third person perspective.

Of course, 3rd person isn't really a term that is applied to 2D gaming, I was just using Mario to make a point.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 pm

So choose-your-own-adventure books/games are second person? Eg. "You go in to the cave... press A to light a match, B to shout etc"
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:32 pm

[quote="Ashley":r0p9iu8r]So choose-your-own-adventure books/games are second person? Eg. "You go in to the cave... press A to light a match, B to shout etc"[/quote:r0p9iu8r]
YES!
that's the only example in literature.

In games not so much but when the player presses a button, he is performing the action, so the game is actually addressing his in-game persona, so it's first person.

In a 2nd person game, characters would have to address you (the player, not your in-game character).
Maybe.... seaman?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:51 pm

You could say most rpg's are that way. Then again if you were playing first person and there was a dialog that said "You got a potion.".... Anyway yeah games don't always have to follow those rules.
So please, you'll have to excuse me for putting on my sassyboots, when I get corrected for something that doesn't matter.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote="Ashley":2qhweqax]So choose-your-own-adventure books/games are second person? Eg. "You go in to the cave... press A to light a match, B to shout etc"[/quote:2qhweqax]

I think that would count, yeah. "You were eaten by a Grue." :P

As I said before I think Dance Dance Revolution or WiiFit might be as well, since "you" are the one dancing or doing situps or whatever. I suppose that's debatable though.

And I think the amount of dust on your dance pad or balance board would factor into the equation somehow.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic