TORNABY (a Dark Metroidvania-Sci-Fi-HD-Platformer)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Very nice looking game. This would be easily greenlit on steam.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 am

Silverforce wrote:I like the environment and NPC design, a lot, it's beautifully drawn and yes, HR Giger would be proud.

There's something slightly off-putting about the player character.

Short stubby body/legs and big head normally screams cute or Chibi to me, but this is a very dark game.

Thank you really very much, this is a legit aspect for sure: For a part its because of my weird, sense of black humor. Storywise the game is about development and free decisions under the rules of authoritarian society from by birth. You play the game from the "enemies" POV, which at the beginning is under attack by human federation as one last desperate attempt to save human civilization, and maybe even overstepping the mark during this process. So you are hatched right into this attack, without much knowledge, watching everything go down. The plan is to develop the character storywise and also show this coming-of-age: You will be able to level up (quite similar to Castlevania "Symphony of the Night" - and yes, its going to be very Metroidvania-style) and pass at least 3 stages of evolution, visually.
In sum, the stubby look (including the somehow clumsy animations) is intended, since the Player Character is still newborn (i even took references from my 2 years old lovely son for that) and will look like that for the first third of the game.
The game is dark, which is intended - but i plan to hide some references to common classic games/movies and of course with subtle humor through the rooms:)
And trust me - the design of the PC is not the only absurd part... design-wise there are a lot more bizarre things coming, since that is what i originally wanted to do.

Again, thank you all for your motivating comments, since its not easy to stay focused and motivated on this without input from outside :)
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:41 am

That makes more sense now, 3 different visual evolution as the character grows.

Have you read this? Platformers are a very crowded genre.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielWe ... n_2015.php
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanClark/20 ... Design.php

Definitely your game's biggest hook is the art quality & style I think. It's outstanding.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Hey there,
after quite a while i wanted to give some sign of life at least :D
Metroidvania-style "Tornaby" is still alive and being worked on by me regularly (beside full-time- work,university and education) - after quite a few tweaks (including a slightly redesign of the main protagonist, as seen above ;) ),
i honestly hope to show the long promised demo in the upcoming weeks
to finally get some real feedback on most essential things.
i have attached a few screenshots from the first minutes of gameplay (including hud and minimap).
enjoy the weekend, see you soon (i promise)!

PS: again, sorry for my bad (yet funny) english and for NOT ANSWERING any pm's since i dont have enough rep right now.
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:36 pm

The new character model looks good! Almost didn't notice the HUD and minimap, it looks nice though. Would have to play the game though to get a better feel for it.
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you - i'm really working on it to finally show some playable stuff here (also looking forward to some feedback then:) )... regarding the hud: i think its not final, maybe i will redo this in the next week or so.
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Looks absolutely awesome!!
Or as we say in Austria: vio geil!!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:10 am

Cherico wrote:Looks absolutely awesome!!
Or as we say in Austria: vio geil!!

Thx - Greetings from Vienna :D
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 am

Gänserndorf ;) Davor Wien, davor St. Pölten :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Hey there,

still working to show you something playable here - until then i will try tease the first minutes of gameplay with small screenshots :

it's the first miniboss (3 attack forms, as you can see on the guns attached to his body) on your quest.

have a nice weekend :)
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests