Touch counts as double touch for mobile devices?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Is anyone else experiencing an issue where exported projects on mobile device browsers associate a touch as a double touch? This becomes an issue when implementing gamepads and you want to run your game through a mobile devices browser. I also noticed mouse events work on mobile device browsers, is this by design or a bug?
It might be the reason why touch events are considered as double touch on mobile device browsers.

I wasn't sure if I was suppose to claim it as a bug or not, but if needed I can provide a capx and post it in the bug section.

Why is this an issue?
Sponsors want games that run on both mobile device browsers and desktops. With the following issue mentioned above not all games can work on mobile devices browsers, mainly the ones that revolve around single touch gameplay.

Is it a big deal?
Well there are work around methods but it would be nice if this issue would be fixed. (unless it's not a bug and its by design)
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 8:31 pm

I also saw that mobile often triggers both a touch and a mouse input (no, the use mouse button of the touch object wans't set on)

I think I saw that in websites too sometimes, and it was not predictible (sometimes the mouse input first, sometimes the touch input first, and even then, a delay between them so that sucks..)

It makes it also hard to design for both touchscreen and mouse, since trying to detect the input will likely be a false positive mouse sometimes :/

I do not think it is scirra's fault, my tablet does not return this input conflict, but I could be wrong.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Aphrodite wrote:I also saw that mobile often triggers both a touch and a mouse input (no, the use mouse button of the touch object wans't set on)

I think I saw that in websites too sometimes, and it was not predictible (sometimes the mouse input first, sometimes the touch input first, and even then, a delay between them so that sucks..)

It makes it also hard to design for both touchscreen and mouse, since trying to detect the input will likely be a false positive mouse sometimes :/

I do not think it is scirra's fault, my tablet does not return this input conflict, but I could be wrong.

Its not that big of a downer but it would make production faster if it was resolved. I guess I'll stick to work-around methods.

Do you think you could post the make and model of your tablet?
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 pm

It is a samsung Galaxy tab 3, MODEL:GT-P5210, I mostly use the chrome browser, and I didn't saw this problem hapenning on it.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Aphrodite wrote:It is a samsung Galaxy tab 3, MODEL:GT-P5210, I mostly use the chrome browser, and I didn't saw this problem hapenning on it.

Have you tried using mouse click events on your tablets native browser to see if mouse input counts as a touch? I'm not sure if its because I'm testing with an older device but it seems that even mouse events work on mobile web browsers.

It seems to be a native browser problem.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 11:36 pm

retrodude wrote:
Aphrodite wrote:It is a samsung Galaxy tab 3, MODEL:GT-P5210, I mostly use the chrome browser, and I didn't saw this problem hapenning on it.

Have you tried using mouse click events on your tablets native browser to see if mouse input counts as a touch? I'm not sure if its because I'm testing with an older device but it seems that even mouse events work on mobile web browsers.

It seems to be a native browser problem.

The native browser does it indeed with only a "on any click", that's annoying :/
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 15, 2014 11:45 pm

The native browser does it indeed with only a "on any click", that's annoying :/

@Aphrodite

Oh alright, then it must be a native browser thing, thanks for testing on your tablet, much appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 pm

We got the same issue reported by a sponsor. For now we use a timer on user touch input as a workaround. Touch inputs seem to massively slow down every game though. Is this a construct related issue ?
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 20, 2014 10:09 am

On some specific versions of Android (4.1.x IIRC) the stock browser has a bug where touch inputs are fired twice. Since it's in the browser it will affect any HTML5 framework or technology. We have workarounds in place to stop double-firing events but if it fires it twice with different touch IDs it's hard to block. Chrome for Android should not be affected, nor should different Android versions to 4.1, nor should any other mobile browsers. If you post the exact devices you've found this issue on then we could confirm it's the same issue.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

@Ashley

I also got a complained from a publisher or sponsor regarding the double touch bug on stock android browser. I have tested my games on Galaxy S3 International 4.3 (Stock rom) and it does have this bug.

On touched "btnClicked"->increase integer : will trigger twice on android default browser.

I have to do this for now.
global variable =androidTouchFix=0

is touching "btnClicked" and androidTouchFix=0->Increase integer and change androidTouchFix=1

on touch end=androidTouchFix=0

Above are not the actual codes. But I hope you can understand the logic.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General