Touch Object Creates Location Services Prompt on iOS

Report Construct 2 bugs here.

Post » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:20 pm

It prompts the first time you open the app (per install), then saves whatever choice you selected and doesn't prompt after that. I'm not sure exactly what your testing conditions were, but that's my experience.

Someone on that Adobe support post recommended I use the Cordova CLI, which DID NOT produce the prompt, leading me to believe it is a problem on Adobe's end. Of course, this build produced a sound bug that I've had little luck troubleshooting, so I'm still not really any closer to having my app updated.

I tweeted at Adobe Support and they weren't super helpful. The rep on that support post recommended I make a ticket for it, so at least they're pretending like they believe it's their problem (5 months ago, when that post first came up, the rep pointed the finger at Construct).

I'm writing the ticket now. Hopefully something will be done in a reasonable amount of time. I'll also try rebuilding my game to see if it's randomly working as you described (even if it's sporadic, if I can get one good build I could push my update).
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:38 pm

github.com/phonegap/build/issues/440#issuecomment-110510525

construct 2 uses the accelerometer that will trigger this warning

specifically it listens for "devicemotion" and "deviceorientation" events of the window object.

Is there anything that can be done about this, @Ashley?
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 am

I replied to the thread, but they closed it already. Hopefully they will see my message and reopen it...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:24 pm

@ashley I will do a build when I get home later today. I should note that during the course of my testing back in January I would receive the permission prompt every time on initial run, without fail. I deleted the app data from the test iOS device, rebuilt, and uploaded the app file at least 40-50 individual times during this period, so if you are noticing that the prompt is no longer appearing on the initial run, that is potentially good news.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Ashley wrote:I replied to the thread, but they closed it already. Hopefully they will see my message and reopen it...

Do we need to open a new ticket? Still no reply. D:
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:43 am

Yeah, I guess try again.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:29 pm

@Ashley: Here we go again: github.com/phonegap/build/issues/442
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 am

@donkeyspaceman pretty unfortunate considering how easy PGB makes the process (compared to cordova CLI and xcode).
B
S

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 am

Good news, finally. Only took a few angry tweets and two weeks for someone to actually look at the ticket. :/

Appear to have found a solution (or workaround) for this issue. Try adding this to your PGB config.xml:

Code: Select all
<gap:config-file platform="ios" parent="NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription" mode="replace">
    <string>ANYTHING</string>
</gap:config-file>

Shouldn't matter what you throw in for the string (unless you are using location stuff elsewhere) since the prompt shouldn't appear. Let us know if it does / doesn't work for you.

Still not sure why this is happening but will update if / when we figure that out.

This seems to have worked for me. I added this to the config.xml that Construct spits out and the ipa I got from PhoneGap doesn't make any mention of location anymore. Looking forward to FINALLY updating my game after two months of sitting around waiting on Adobe.
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am

WTF, I've no idea why they think that's a "fix". They still have no idea what is causing the problem! Please, badger them to fix the actual problem and not just paper over the cracks.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs