TowerClimb Beta!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 am

@Alspal Just figured out you can change the screen size with F1 through I think F9.

Also yeah the depixelize effect would be pretty cool here but I'm pretty sure you need to scale up your graphics before importing them for that to work.

@Davioware So, after 3 hours of climbing towers, flying fuzzy balloons, blowing sh*t up, teleporting, running for my life, swimming for my life, being eaten alive, pounced on, bitten, impaled, burned alive, falling to my death, and having my soul eaten, I'm pretty sure this is the best $5 I've spent in a long while XD; There's a lot more to this game than I thought, and I'm pretty sure I've hardly scratched the surface.Tokinsom2012-02-15 03:23:35
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:42 am

yeah, I only got a chance to turn it on for a minute to get a basic peek, not really enough to comment on gameplay.

but as far as initial presentation, my critz are I don't like the weird nonwindowlike window in the center of my screen I can't drag around or hit maximize, or hit Esc - then choose go to full screen. and the pointer that stays visible, but doesn't seem to serve a function. and the game over screen that lasts a few seconds, but you can't skip.

it does look cool though, the mix of retro and effects is interestinglucid2012-02-15 04:42:53
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it. I'm aware that the controls aren't perfect, I guess I just got so used to them that I decided they were good enough for this version. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. What level have you made it to tokinsom?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 am

Just the 3rd or 4th hatchery. It's too damn difficult :< Between the giant worm and the beetles and the hounds and the difficult controls/mechanics I just can't do it. Still trying though..

I came close to finishing the 4th hatchery but I forgot to press up at the door, flew right through it, and landed on a beetle. Did the same thing later but landed on the worm. Perhaps simply touching the door could bring you to the next level?

I really want to say you should lighten up the difficulty a bit (atleast for the Hatchery, that's a hell of a difficulty curve) but it's your game so :) I just fear whatever comes after the hatchery will be entirely impassable, especially to more modern/casual gamers.Tokinsom2012-02-16 05:11:26
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:49 am

I don't feel the game should be any easier, most of the deaths I've had so far seemed reasonable. However since the level layouts are so random I've found that the difficulty and flow varies considerably from game to game, sometimes you have really safe and easy spots but then other times there is much more intense moments.

I've played 30 games so far, the main thing I'm not enjoying so far is the speed of the game -- I prefer a faster pace in action/arcade games like this. What contributes to this slightly slow feeling is: climbing speed feels a tad slow, especially when it seems like you spend most of the time doing it (even if it was just 10% faster lol). The in-between screens that aren't actually the game feel like they take too long (startup/gameover etc.) when I just want to keep playing the game, especially considering that people are going to be playing and dying over and over.

I am really enjoying the atmosphere though and trying to reach greater heights! The enjoyment of discovering new areas etc. The hatchery, and the doors that take you too weird areas are really cool.

Also do some of the random items do anything special (like the boots/gloves/wand), or are they just meant to be tossed around?

This death made me laugh. Could I have used those exploding potions against them?
alspal2012-02-16 11:18:31
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:48 pm

The boots and gloves give you stat bonuses when stored in your inventory. Gloves make you climb a lot faster, boots make you run faster :). The wand can be fired by throwing it in a direction. (takes a bit of time to charge.)

And yes, you can kill/stop enemies in a variety of ways. You can blow them up with potions or berries. Protip: Spikes can be "harvested" used as weapons. Part of the strategy is learning when to fight or run.

The game is supposed to be difficult but rewarding. I really wanted to err on the side of difficult as opposed to easy. Completing the game is supposed to make you feel like you really accomplished something.

another tip: try tossing an item downward while in mid-air!Davioware2012-02-16 19:59:19
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 am

[QUOTE=Davioware]The game is supposed to be difficult but rewarding. I really wanted to err on the side of difficult as opposed to easy. Completing the game is supposed to make you feel like you really accomplished something.[/QUOTE]

I understand and appreciate that, and really enjoy challenging games, but this...THIS. La-Mulana and Eternal Daughter weren't even this hard XD

A lot of it has to do with the controls. I tried JoyToKey but I can't get it to work with my controller's D-pad, which would really help. Got to 1058 feet though, and the 3rd level. Just now learned to harvest spikes and start using the inventory. The "c" graphic above the inventory was kind of vague..Tokinsom2012-02-17 00:57:21
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Just bought my copy too.

Off I go to die many many many many times. :)

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:15 pm

This is pretty cool man. Much nicer than the alpha.

I wish there was a list of controls though... I discovered accidentally that the "F" keys resize the screen which is AWESOME, since now I can make it fill up my massive 28" monitor instead of having to squint at it. :)

*Just dicveres the pdf in the zip file*

Guess I'll go read that now. :)

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 am

Just released version 1.1, along with a new trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpG-Yca7z5Y&fmt=18
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic