Trial Object

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm

[quote="Aeal5566":3oz9hp2v]Windows defender would probably pick up any attempt to modify the registry[/quote:3oz9hp2v]
I doubt it would since almost all applications modify the registry as a matter of routine. Bearing in mind almost any system you come up with can be cracked, I'd come up with some basic system that writes something to the registry, simply to prevent casual piracy where you can copy/paste files to someone else and it works.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 pm

I tried to play Subject 66 a few days ago and that writes a file to the hard drive and windows said no way. I had to run in administrator mode to get it to play I'm sure it would do the same thing for registry keys.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Just release a cut down version (delete a few layouts from it) as your trial version. No saving anything to the registry or modifying ini files and uncrackable on account of it not containing the rest of the files to begin with.

Then when they buy a full version off you, compile a customized copy of it just for them, along with their payment/address details displayed within the game intro and no anti-piracy protection (the pirates aren't going to crack something that doesn't need cracking.. no sport), and if Joe Bloggs tries passing around their paid for version to the rest of the public, all their private details are made public.

It's not perfect, but it's the least amount of messing around. Course the data protection act might have issues with you including their credit card details in it.. Just say you left a briefcase with their details on a train somewhere, always works for politicians. :P
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:05 pm

[quote="Aeal5566":1p1ljj9g]I tried to play Subject 66 a few days ago and that writes a file to the hard drive and windows said no way. I had to run in administrator mode to get it to play I'm sure it would do the same thing for registry keys.[/quote:1p1ljj9g]
Vista and 7 allow the application access to certain parts of the registry and disk. For example, an application can write to temporary files without security privileges, but not your Windows directory.

If the application steps outside this boundary, Windows hits the user with a UAC prompt. You just have to know what you're allowed to do, and you can avoid it. It's fully documented on MSDN, Microsoft want everyone to know what these limitations are so applications are more secure.

[quote="Lost my Keys":1p1ljj9g]Then when they buy a full version off you, compile a customized copy of it just for them[/quote:1p1ljj9g]
Try that when you're selling 10,000 copies.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:14 pm

[quote="Ashley":2ms196v2][quote="Aeal5566":2ms196v2]I tried to play Subject 66 a few days ago and that writes a file to the hard drive and windows said no way. I had to run in administrator mode to get it to play I'm sure it would do the same thing for registry keys.[/quote:2ms196v2]
Vista and 7 allow the application access to certain parts of the registry and disk. For example, an application can write to temporary files without security privileges, but not your Windows directory.

If the application steps outside this boundary, Windows hits the user with a UAC prompt. You just have to know what you're allowed to do, and you can avoid it. It's fully documented on MSDN, Microsoft want everyone to know what these limitations are so applications are more secure.

[quote="Lost my Keys":2ms196v2]Then when they buy a full version off you, compile a customized copy of it just for them[/quote:2ms196v2]
Try that when you're selling 10,000 copies.[/quote:2ms196v2]

Hey if I'm selling 10,000 copies of a game I made. I could afford to hire people to do it for me, lol.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:22 pm

[quote="Russ":3vcqaemb]P.S. ALso there is no protection that noone could hack :|[/quote:3vcqaemb]
Unless its Online game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm

No method is unhackable. Good crackers can modify the code inside your local copy of the EXE to bypass validation entirely (online or offline), for example. All you can do is make it more difficult. Think of a version of your program written with no validation at all, then think of a cracker working to make your validated app look like that. (Also, it's not too hard to locate particular strings eg. your personal details in an EXE with a hex editor, so unless you used encryption that's easily subverted too).

Settle on something simple enough that you don't waste days on it, but keeps script kiddies off your back, IMO. Also remember, the more popular your application, the more likely expert crackers will give it a shot. Small scale apps probably don't need hardcore protection - but that's not to say someone's not going to pwn it anyway.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm

[quote:31njt8sa]Also remember, the more popular your application, the more likely expert crackers will give it a shot. [/quote:31njt8sa]

This. If you've made a commercial game that's popular enough to be widely pirated, you should consider it an honor. Crackers don't bother with unpopular software.

And if it gets to the point, you will be making plenty of money from all of the non-pirates who buy it, anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Is this what you want?

http://slil.ru/28381027

This Notepad will work exactly 60 sec.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Its better to just release a demo instead of a trial...
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion