Turn Based Strategy (like Advance Wars) - DevLog

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 am

Great to hear this thread still alive therefore the continuation project of yours, Ethan.
I'm preparing a tutorial that will cover ranged movement and blocking. But that will be a story for another time.
This is what I came up with:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/659 ... index.html

Your effort is far beyond mine and you really show that. Salute
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks guys.

@alextro i like what you've done so far. I'll be sure to check out your tutorial when its done. It's always good to get another perspective on how others do things, there no reason to assume that mines in any way better.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks for your kind words. Currently I am building my own astar system that will be applied for second part of tutorial. Nice to know someone is in the same direction.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:59 am

Trying not to let myself fall into the usual trap of making things animated rather an just functionally static to begin with, it should really be left to the end when the game is being polished, any way i added a dynamic hud which displays the current turn, number of towns captured and players money.

It's dynamic for a number of reasons. It uses a mask created with a blend mode so the digits (which i've actually created with sprites) are on the layer beneath the map.
The map scrolls so i couldn't use the anchor behaviour, instead i position the hud through events, but it also has to adjust to the browser being resized under letterbox integer scale which of course changes the window size. The hud size also changes so the number of digits always fits.

I then tied it all together so turns are in, but theres no ai code yet so the computer just ends its turn and it increments. When a town is captured the town counter increments and player receives money, currently set at 12 per town per turn.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 am

@Ethan
Hiee... I am developing a game using Construct 2... But I'm facing some issues....
The game I am trying to develop is a online tic tac toe which is a vs CPU and also online multiplayer game...
If anyone can help me please please reply me soon so that we can have a discussion on it...
I would be very thankful to u....
B

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 am

@pritam721 tic tac toe ai should be fairly simple as there are only so many moves you and it could make. You would just have to look for patterns and block the player where necessary. I've never made one so can't go into specifics. As for multiplayer i'm sorry i have no experience in that area. Good luck with your project though.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Love Advanced Wars, looks like you're on your way with this. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Cheers
ImageImage
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Ethan wrote:@pritam721 tic tac toe ai should be fairly simple as there are only so many moves you and it could make. You would just have to look for patterns and block the player where necessary. I've never made one so can't go into specifics. As for multiplayer i'm sorry i have no experience in that area. Good luck with your project though.

thanks alot for reply @ethan ... if u know someone who could help me with tic tac toe and online multiplayer gaming, please let me know...
Thanks alot once again... :-) :)
B

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Territories.

I've been doing more work on Towns. Up until now you captured them as a source of income each turn and used the money to buy new units. Now they play a more strategic role.

Each town now has territory surrounding it. Hovering the mouse over a town reveals it.

When you capture the town you also capture it's territory.

A sides collective territory is shown by a boarder.

Territories do 2 things. First they give units a bonus in combat if they're in their own territory.

The second purpose is they provide zones for Fog of War. I've implemented night and day cycles, currently 2 turns day and 2 turns night.

During the night enemy territories are blacked out. They are revealed again once a unit crosses into it.

I've updated the hud to show the time of day a long side the turn count. "morning, afternoon, evening, night".

Lastly when a unit is capturing a town and moves off it before its 100% captured then the town reverts to 0% again.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 am

great idea
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations