[Tutorial] A real dynamic light system

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:04 pm

hey i'm not trying to be negative, i'm trying to be motivational. if this is what you really want to do for the rest of your life - focus on it and expand your views... it's the same in every job from programming to selling mops :)

p.s. yeah, a bit offtopic, sorry
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:08 pm

Please stay on topic and be nice everyone.

Nice work as usual, @chrisbrobs
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:17 pm

@saiyadjin

Your forgiven :)

@zenox98

Thanks.

PLease note . I actually PM'd Pode with regards to 'using / modding' his work.

He responded ''Of course, you can use it and modify it as you wish'
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 pm

@saiyadjin haha Indeed, I thought Construct 2 was based on HTML5, my mistake ! :)

Anyway, yes, you're right. I maintain that I (definitely because it's Javascript) don't have the required skills to take care of that by myself for the moment and it will take months to acquire the concerned knowledge, so my request stays justified. But you're right, if I want to touch the sky with Construct 2, I better learn what will allow me to develop some plugins or effects. So javascript, here I come.

@chrisbrobs Yep, it's upside down, I recently realized it, sorry, let's say it's...original by this way >.>

Your work, however, is still really good. I tested your effect combined with Pode's effect with several sprites, even if it's not as sweet as the results I saw by using Sprite Lamp or Sprite DLight, it's as convenient (No imported Heightmap needed) as well rendered. It's easier than use Sprite Lamp, too. Congrats ! But the better part is there :

PLease note . I actually PM'd Pode with regards to 'using / modding' his work. He responded ''Of course, you can use it and modify it as you wish'

So the guy was not as absent as I thought he was ! I suppose he just doesn't care about his old topic anymore. It's human. But remember what I said at the beginning ?

We can try the Pode's dynamic light effect. It's a really good work, but it's not in development anymore (Pode himself is mostly absent these days...) and we can't really ask anything or wait some improvements for it.

If you decide to take care of this great effect and improve it, then this problem will be solved. If this whole topic has allowed someone to be interested in this effect, then take care of it to finally create something better for the whole community, what can I say. In brief, if you want to play with that and make something interesting, I doubt anyone will complain, for sure !

From my part, if finally nobody tries to improve Pode's work and if Scirra doesn't make anything about that, I'm sure it will be a good base to start working on my own effect latter, when I'll have the necessary skills. Thanks for this information
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:04 am

@LeuNoeleeste
@chrisbrobs

There is no magic, but basically go to download this effect:
effect-normal-map-extended-1-01-updated-13-jul_t149650

And I used to generate normal map from default sprite, I've imported 2 sprites in c2:
http://spritelamp.com/

One sprite is diffuse texture and another sprite is normal map, you need to bring normal map as front over diffuse texture.

Then apply normal map effect for normal map sprite.

Adjust the parameters whatever you like and bring the best results.

You can use Z position for this light, it would be 3D light in 2D.

It's just a simple explanation

Demo:
http://powerupware.com/lightmap/

Capx: [r219]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v2ikwuck5slg ... ?dl=0&s=sl
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Construct 2 (or 3) needs to take care of this topic. Either by making it easy to use the current system or developing a more powerful one. Don't misunderstand, I have no intention to give more work to the Scirra Team, but I do believe that as an engine that gives the power of programming to people who can't write code, it must have a feature like this usable by the common developer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:56 pm

glerikud wrote:Construct 2 (or 3) needs to take care of this topic. Either by making it easy to use the current system or developing a more powerful one. Don't misunderstand, I have no intention to give more work to the Scirra Team, but I do believe that as an engine that gives the power of programming to people who can't write code, it must have a feature like this usable by the common developer.

Yes, everything can be made accessible, fast and still versatile.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Joannesalfa's alternative is, indeed, the best solution I've ever seen until now. I made some tests with it, it's easy to use and probably more useful than Pode's work. I use Sprite DLight to create my Normal Maps, the results are great (I tried every existing tool anyway). Hum. I shall continue to use it in different cases, then I'll probably write a tutorial "Dynamic light in Construct 2" to expose every single thing I learned about that on these past 3 months. The different solutions, how to apply them etc. All.

I'm glad to see that I'm definitely not the only one to wait for an alternative made by Scirra to deal with that.

We shall wait. And we will see. For now, I have some work hehe.
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:45 pm

LeuNoeleeste wrote:I shall continue to use it in different cases, then I'll probably write a tutorial "Dynamic light in Construct 2" to expose every single thing I learned about that on these past 3 months. The different solutions, how to apply them etc. All.

I'd love to read it :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:05 pm

It's ready, and takes almost 25 pages. I'll add some gifs and probably a video, and I'll have it corrected by a real english dude (I'm french, I did my best to write everything correctly but I suppose there's still some incomprehensible bullshit somewhere) then I'll submit it. Any feedback will be welcome, so when I'll post it there, feel free to say anything. It should be available in two weeks, maybe earlier.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General