[Tutorial] A real dynamic light system

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:57 pm

@Ashley, I can imagine there is planty of request, but stuff like lightening, sprite distortion, drawing masks on levels etc, are some of the most requested features, and would be incredibly useful and helpful to everyone.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:00 pm

It would appear that the current system is only useful if you want to create a top-down game like the demo ghost-shooter. Lucky for me I'm making a platform game, so I don't have to be frustrated by a requirement to create a layer for each light... :/
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Ashley wrote:
AnD4D wrote:I know I've posted this before, but have no idea if it's HTML5 or Javascript.

http://ncase.me/sight-and-light/

That particular solution effectively brute-forces penumbras by having 11 separate lights! That's going to be quite a hammer on performance. The WebGL solution looks better with only a single light.

I know the NWF is an exception, but I'd rather focus on the majority of platforms rather than just the one, even if it's Nintendo...

@Ashley Can't blame you for that... I just don't get Nintendo's decisions a lot of the time...

With the version I linked to, I was just focussing on non penumbra shadows. Could the technique you used to generate penumbras on your shadow light not be applied to this example when using WebGL? Therefore giving the option of multiple light sources on one layer, along with canvas2d support?
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 pm

@Ashley , please have a look at this mockup example, demonstrating a workflow one could expect from a unified lighting system (among a few other things). Make sure to read the notes and the video description for more in-depth info!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hbGfRx ... e=youtu.be

Aside any issues with Compatibility and software development, I think that if such a system existed (or could be implemented into C3) it will greatly improve our workflow, productivity and end result! I tried to include as many things as I could into a 3 minute video, taking into consideration suggestions that had been already risen.

A thing that was mentioned here while I was making the mockup and didn't have the time to address on the video, is the probability of someone wanting a pixelated look on the light falloff. That could be achieved by using the pixellate effect on the light it self.

Having said all of the above, just by trying to animate this mockup the past 3 days, I realized how difficult endeavor this will be, both programming and UI/UX wise. Never the less, by depicting those issues with an animation I hope that some important points had been made clear!
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Awesome mockup video, @eli0s. Very explanatory.
B

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:16 pm

@eli0s - great video! What I would like / need / strongly desire is an editor like Overlap 2d's. Watch for a minute from 50 secs....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:46 pm

yup. That's pretty much how it works in most applications. @eli0s big respect for taking your free time just to make a video of something that obvious!

EDIT: There was a talk some time ago about unifying objects like Sprite and Tiled Background. Ashley wrote that it should be possible just to make 1 object type that would have capabilities of sprites, tiled backgrounds etc.... but as usual that was it. no further talk.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Colludium wrote:@eli0s - great video! What I would like / need / strongly desire is an editor like Overlap 2d's. Watch for a minute from 50 secs....

That is indeed really nice and intuitive editor! Workflow is very fast and organic.... heh and yeah "generate bitmaps fonts on the fly". looking at that kind of stuff you starts to realize how old C2 editor is :D
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:57 pm

@eli0s Great video. Thank you for making it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:31 pm

@elios great job as always.

overlap2d what a great software ive posted one year ago in a topic called "Overlap 2D App Useful for Construct 2?" by @PsmithReginald but no more posts except mine.. i think its great and its exactly whats in my mind.. something like @elios video i dont know if supports normals. anyway if @ashley thinks that it can be part of c2 why not? and why in c3? c2 is a good start too.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General