Tutorial Fighter (updated 9/15/10)

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks, will read this soon.
But I just want to point out one thing I learned from the wonderfull book Teh Art of Game Design:

UberLou: You are a game designer!

Because you make a game. Ist just that easy. Everyone who thinks about a game or even makes one is a game designer.
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm

WOW Great start! All I can say is can't wait for more.

Make sure you link this in the Wiki, I think this may be VERY popular when finished :-)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Glad to see people are enjoying and understanding the tutorial. I was worried it wasn't clear enough.

[quote="GMG":1gr93f11]Very nice. Posted to madewithconstruct.tumblr.com[/quote:1gr93f11]

Thanks GMG! You said in your post that there were some design decisions that weren't too clear for you. Anything specific that I can address?

[quote="L5j":1gr93f11]PART 4: ?

*cough* hadoukens and various special attacks[/quote:1gr93f11]

Hah, I initially wrote special moves for Part 4 but then took it off because it would be really tough :) The thing with special moves is that, to do it right, you have to start buffering every direction. Like in Street Fighter, for Ryu's Dragon Punch its: forward,down,downforward +punch. However you can still do the motion sloppy and press: forward,downback,down,downforward, forward + punch. I guess you have to make an array, store all of the directions, and then look for combinations? Really unsure, but i'll do some research and see if I can come up with anything. Or if anyone else knows how it's done, I'd be interested in it too :)

[quote="olipool":1gr93f11]
UberLou: You are a game designer!

Because you make a game. Ist just that easy. Everyone who thinks about a game or even makes one is a game designer.[/quote:1gr93f11]

Hah, I guess thats true. Maybe I'll revise my sentence to say "I'm an unproven game designer." :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 pm

@uberlou,
the main thing that I noticed was that you are still using a hidden collision box object for the player, rather than the built in masks. I was under the impression that colliders like this were no longer necessary.

I thought you might have a reason for doing it that way, which is why I said i'll wait and see how it develops. I thought perhaps you planned to have multiple collision areas for attack and damage (i.e. fist collider does damage on collision with enemy body collider, enemy foot does damage on collision with player body collider).

anyway, I found it to be a really well organised and commented project, and I'm looking forward to part 2.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="GMG":20nyl7hv]the main thing that I noticed was that you are still using a hidden collision box object for the player, rather than the built in masks.[/quote:20nyl7hv]
Oh good catch, I'll write that into my main post. I use a hidden collision box so that I can have control of it. If the player ducks or dodges I need to scale down the collision box. Also the hotspot for the mask needs to be at the base (which I forgot to do) so it scales downward. I'm not aware of a way to change or scale the built in collision mask but I haven't put much time into that feature.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Anyone else having problems with the block of code on line 19? It's giving me all sorts of grief. With this block of code in my file, it sets my state2 to 1 automatically and ignores all user input as stated, but the same block of code in the tutorial .cap here works flawlessly. I'll post up the .cap if I had enough of bashing my head... just wondering if anyone else is having probs with the punching implementation.

~t
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:41 pm

[quote="lildragn":3ftz9t7i]Anyone else having problems with the block of code on line 19?[/quote:3ftz9t7i]

Make sure line 19, 22, and 24 are ALL SUB-EVENTS of line 18. If you already have that, then I don't know, I'll have to take another look
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Thx L5j, that was indeed the prob, plus the fact that I didn't add a buffer01 variable thinking I didn't need it to perform one punch...

*note to self, must learn proper hierarchies*

Now unto the next hurdles :)

~t
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm having issues opening Part 1 inside the latest version of Construct. Anyone else?
B
G

Post » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:31 pm

@Stardog

Just loaded this into 0.99.9 without a problem.

Fantastic work UberLou - really smooth.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files