Tutorial: Online Multiplayer with PodSixNet

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 pm

This tutorial shows how to make network programs, and online and LAN multiplayer games using Python and the PodSixNet (http://mccormick.cx/projects/PodSixNet/) library.

The tutorial walks through setting up your environment,distributing your game, using the PodSixNet library, and then reviews the .cap files of several example network programs. The games include a chat program, network pong, and a 2-10 player dungeon escape game. Latency is briefly addressed and some techniques to reduce lag are mentioned.

Download link (need Construct .99.84 or later)
http://www.box.net/shared/1ukq09e6e1

Users are assumed to know a little bit about Construct and should already have done the Ghost Shooter tutorials at the minimum. Only minimal prior knowledge of Python is necessary. Enjoy!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Wow, The long awaited tutorial and it seems to be well worth the wait. I have not sat down and read it all as i want to. Currently doing college material but i will definatly look at this after with a full review. So far it looks really kick ass. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:13 am

Freakin' ace. Haven't looked through it all yet, been real busy, but I'm sure it's all class.

Thanks for making the tutorial Dave. I really appreciate it. :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 01, 2010 2:42 am

AWESOME!!! From what i have looked at so far it all seems very well written and easy to follow. Excellent job
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Yay! thanks man this looks great!
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 2:24 pm

sooo ... when is this going to become a plug in? =P
Great tutorial by the way. I haven't read through it in detail but the proof speaks for itself!
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Woah, this is really awesome. Definately will look into this, even if I have no clue about python.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 am

[quote="vinny"]sooo ... when is this going to become a plug in? =P
Great tutorial by the way. I haven't read through it in detail but the proof speaks for itself![/quote]
It is Python. It cannot be made into a plugin like this.
Tom2011-06-27 11:48:00
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

[quote="Mr Wolf":383en875][quote="vinny":383en875]sooo ... when is this going to become a plug in? =P
Great tutorial by the way. I haven't read through it in detail but the proof speaks for itself![/quote:383en875]
It is Python. It cannot be made into a plugin like this.[/quote:383en875]
Never doubt, just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be!
Plus, I do know that it's Python, I was just making a joke ... thanks for ruining it. haha :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks everyone! I really hope this will get more people to try Python and Construct.

[quote="vinny":xvpe7i7z]sooo ... when is this going to become a plug in? =P[/quote:xvpe7i7z]
:wink: I recognize the humor. This functionality would make for a sweet plugin. As crazy as it sounds Python is actually BETTER than a plugin (assuming the PV and behavior access is fixed in Python). The reason is that Construct does not have access to sprite indexing (the ability to reference a sprite instance by index), but Python does. For example, sprite[0].X would access the first instance's X location. If you can't do that then multiplayer games are impractical for anything more than a 2-4 person game. If someone writes an online plugin, they also need to add support for sprite indexing.

[quote="Mr Wolf":xvpe7i7z]It is Python. It cannot be made into a plugin like this.[/quote:xvpe7i7z]
Technically, you could make a plugin based on this library by using Python embedded in C++. Now, would someone actually want to do that? Probably not, they would just write it all in C.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your tutorials & example files