Tutorial: Online Multiplayer with PodSixNet

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

[QUOTE=scidave] Hey Rory,

PodSixNet is fairly efficient since it has a built in encoder/serialization. It is only TCP so isn't going to be useful for shooters or other fast real-time gaming. You can host the server (if you want to only use Python) on any system that supports Python (Linux, Windows, etc).

I'm not sure what you mean by secure..it can be made as secure from cheating based on how much you host on the server and what type of checking you program in.

If you are interested in faster performance look at the Plugin I made as a wrapper around Enet. It is posted in the work in progress plugin section. I will warn you that there are some bugs so it is not as stable as PodSixNet, but it is based on UDP so is much faster. It could be made even faster if compression was added.[/QUOTE]

I am new to this and have admittedly yet to tackle what networking library I would use with Python, I will get to that I'm getting my object tracking sorted first, however I'd wonder why you think compression would increase the speed? This is not a problem of bandwidth but with latency?

Anyway I very much appreciate your posts, I will start with this when I get to networking
B

Post » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 am

Hi,

As far as compression improving speed...I was thinking more for internet connections with little bandwidth. You are right that most of the time latency is the problem. However, the ENET plugin right now sends everything as a text string...this has potential to send very large packets which "could" consume precious bandwidth. So it would be nice to make it more efficient. Odds are though it doesn't help many real world game situations..as you mention because the problem is latency.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 am

Sorry for the late reply @scidave, thanks for the valuable advice!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 pm

awesome, i'm looking for this on CC :)
Enlik Tjioe
Game Programmer

www.touchten.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:11 am

how do i install the required stuff for CC ?
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Your tutorials & example files