Tutorial: Platform School

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for these great tutorials. I'm really learning a lot about Construct from them.

I understand why you use separate objects for the platform behavior and the animation. It works really well for Charlie who is pretty much shaped like the same rectangle whether he's standing, running, jumping or swimming.

What if you're using character animations that should make the hit-box a different shape? Like a taller, thinner character that needs to lean forward while jumping. Or maybe the character's arms swing outside the hit-box while walking.

It seems like the whole point of the hit box is to have an object that doesn't change shape so you don't have to worry about rubber banding off of walls or hanging off a ledge by your nose.

Thanks everybody for any suggestion.
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:37 pm

[quote="qxface":15f2z77c]What if you're using character animations that should make the hit-box a different shape? Like a taller, thinner character that needs to lean forward while jumping. Or maybe the character's arms swing outside the hit-box while walking.[/quote:15f2z77c]

Well, you just have to be careful about how your sprites. If you want something that's pixel-perfect for your character, it's probably not going to happen unless your character is a square. As a general rule of thumb I make an "average" of the body and head, and just ignore anything that pokes out beyond that. I don't think armsor legs or guns and such in games look all that odd poking through walls... it happens all the time. When it starts looking weird is when heads and bodies start poking through the walls.

[quote="qxface":15f2z77c]so you don't have to worry about rubber banding off of walls or hanging off a ledge by your nose.[/quote:15f2z77c]

Hehe, that hanging by your nose thing always bugs me in games :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:08 am

All the links seem dead right now.
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am

I thought that might happen, so I had the foresight to host them all on our server :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:04 am

All the files are still there, it just looks like WHFF has reorganized their directory structure. So what used to be this:

http://willhostforfood.com/users/deadey ... Events.cap

is now this:

http://willhostforfood.com/users/D/dead ... Events.cap

I've updated the links. Sorry for the inconvenience.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode? Where's the new episode?

Just thought I should sum up what we're all thinking.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I finished drawing the sprites a couple days ago, and just this morning I started putting the next .cap together.

Sorry, I've been lazy :| .
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 am

Hm. The tutorials no longer work in the new version...
B
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:06 am

[quote="fieari":lvrkv0k9]Hm. The tutorials no longer work in the new version...[/quote:lvrkv0k9]
I think deadeye mentioned it's an issue with the overlapping events, since it was changed in the new version of Construct.

So it'll probably delay the release of the next tutorial...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 am

Yep, I updated the first post earlier to warn people. Maybe I should have made a new post, too.

[quote="Shady":p1e9nqx8]So it'll probably delay the release of the next tutorial...[/quote:p1e9nqx8]

I wish I could blame any lateness on the 98.8 release, but no... it's all due to my own laziness :P
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files