Tutorial: Platform School

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Sun May 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Uh... are you sure? I haven't noticed any such problem. I can't check right now, but I will when I get home.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 10, 2009 11:22 pm

[quote="toralord":28genczp]I see a problem in your last tutorial. when you press the left arrow key and the speed up key
("X key") to make the player go faster the player can't jump. But It works fine when press the right arrow key and the speed up key ("X key").[/quote:28genczp]

I can do this no problem, it will probably be your keyboard (not something you can fix)

Try holding left & X, then pressing Z in notepad, see if Z comes up.

I can't remember what it's called [Edit*: Yes I can it's called ghosting] but there's something that some keyboards have that makes them not able to press some keys if other keys are down
B
G

Post » Mon May 11, 2009 1:01 am

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a keyboard issue, because it works fine for me.

Try changing the Jump control to something else that's not adjacent to the X key, like Space or Ctrl, and see if that helps.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Hello, I would like to say thanks to deadeye for the tutorial.

Although, I do have some questions because I'm stuck and couldn't find the solution. Or should I post a new thread in the help/tech forum?

Thanks
B
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 7:15 pm

If you have questions about Platform School specifically (like if you want me to clarify something) go ahead and post here.

If you need general help that's not directly related to PS, then post in Help/Tech.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Hey Deadeye, I am using your tutorials a lot they're so helpful. My question is, why does rotating the sprite 180 degrees not result in the sprite being upside down? Is that just the platform behavior kicking in?

I'd like to use 8 direction movement (sans rotations) btw.
B
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 pm

No, that's because there is a specific animation defined for 180 degrees. If there were no 180 animation, then the sprite would turn upside down.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 8:38 pm

rofl thanks, I see now. I assumed there was flipping of the sprites for left and right to save on memory or whatever.
I guess in the end a simple flip of your character would cause as many problems as it solves. Like z order of the weapon in his hands etc.
B
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 pm

[quote="Snake":zhtuzrlp]I guess in the end a simple flip of your character would cause as many problems as it solves.[/quote:zhtuzrlp]

Eh, not necessarily. You could flip the player sprite, I just didn't :P.

Remember, this is just how I do things. It's not necessarily the right or wrong way, but I do try to keep things simple and efficient. And if something is slightly less efficient but slightly more simple, I'm bound to lean towards the simple side. Sure, flipping the sprite would save on VRAM but for small, low-res sprites like this it doesn't really matter too much.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 14, 2009 7:07 pm

I added the spring bouncer and it works but my player's regular jump strength is now lower, why is that? Also, the spring animation does not work.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files