Tutorial: Platform School

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 am

Thanks for your tutorials they have really helped me. Keep up the great work deadeye.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:53 am

nice tutorials ^^, thanks
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 am

I also want to thank deadeye for the tuts, although I noticed thet charlie (the character in the tutorials) don't turn around when pressing the left arrow but I did how ever manage to fix that.

The first thing I tried was to change the Auto flip property for the character but that didn't seem to do it so I went in the event sheet editor for the animation and noticed that the Pleyer 1 "Move Right" is down was written like this

Player %1 "Move Right" is down

Once I re-opened the event and saved it again (no editing) the % sign dissapeared and now charlie turns/flips around like he was supposed to.

Oh and I'm using the 0.99.84 (unstable) version of Construct.

Cheers!
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Brilliant tuts! Fun and interactive, I'm actually still awake after going through them! Kudos!

Loving Construct

~t
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Having a bit of trouble with one thing regarding the combat in the tutorial, I've managed to use the "same" combat system as in the tutorial except I kill my enemies with a sword instead of jumping onto them, but my problem is this:

Once an enemy gets killed every other enemy (same kind difference instances) gets killed at the same time :(

Any ideas to why this happens? When I run the Combat tutorial in debug mode only once instance of the enemy gets killed, I've been over the tutorial like a hawk but don't seem to exactly find where the problem might be. I'm using a spawn point, enemyBox which has the Platform behavior and another enemySprite that follows the enemyBox (as in the tut).

Still using Construct 0.99.84 (unstable) (don't think updating to the latest will fix my problem).
B
G

Post » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 pm

It will depend on how you set up your events for the sword (which would be totally different from the events for a Mario style jump-kill, BTW). You are obviously not picking the enemy properly, so construct is applying your actions to all of them.

What you need to do is filter out your enemies using the SOL (selected objects list). Initially, all objects are in the SOL, and by using events and conditions you filter out all of the ones you don't need until you are left with the objects you want to work with and the actions are applied to them.

For example, if you have a separate object for the sword, you might do this:

+ Sword: Sword overlaps Monster
-> Monster: Destroy

Which should destroy only those monsters that are overlapping the sword.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Here are original caps, updated for .92.

Just figured I'd pass along these amazing tutorials so they can be viewed as intended!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9498285/Platform%20School.zip
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:11 pm

[quote="victrium":1tod9zim]Here are original caps, updated for .92.

Just figured I'd pass along these amazing tutorials so they can be viewed as intended!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9498285/Platform%20School.zip[/quote:1tod9zim]

So you fixed them to run on 0.99.92?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Progress Report:

What progress?!? :lol: :lol:

Before I left there was some kind of platform bug or something that was holding up production of these tutorials. But I've been gone so long that I don't even know if the issue was addressed, and honestly I don't even remember what it was off the top of my head*. I'm still trying to catch up with the changelogs and whatnot for the builds that have been released in my absence.

I still have all of my files though, and as soon as I'm all caught up I'll be continuing the rest of the lessons.

*Actually now that I think about it I believe it had something to do with the player sprite not detecting walls properly in certain situations.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Continuing the lessons? That sounds very fine, thanx for the great, cute tut.

Hope those enemies will also have ladder climbing abilities or more AI. :D

have fun.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files