Tutorial: Platform School

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm

oh man, I can't wait for the rewritten tuts!!

but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?
B
G

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:26 pm

[quote="Rich":p05gazrd]Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector? [/quote:p05gazrd]

Yeah... what Ashley said. Geez Rich, haven't you taken my tutorial? I explain the reason in detail :P

[quote="zephyrus":p05gazrd]but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?[/quote:p05gazrd]

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to set the entire layer as Solid? I'm unaware of any way to do that.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:37 pm

[quote="deadeye":1yjkaql6][quote="Rich":1yjkaql6]Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector? [/quote:1yjkaql6]

Yeah... what Ashley said. Geez Rich, haven't you taken my tutorial? I explain the reason in detail :P

[quote="zephyrus":1yjkaql6]but i was thinking about the way of handling collisions between the player and the grasstiles, isn't it possible to use layers (solid layer for tiles, background layer etc.) instead of using the green collision detector on every tile?[/quote:1yjkaql6]

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to set the entire layer as Solid? I'm unaware of any way to do that.[/quote:1yjkaql6]

yeah thats what i mean, have a solid layer and many other layers for other things. games like knytt use this method and it seems like a good way to do it. no but there should be!:)
B
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 am

these tutos are of great help
if possible please post your todo list in detail so that we can add
thanks
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote="deadeye":2bzqnqt9][quote="Rich":2bzqnqt9]Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector? [/quote:2bzqnqt9][/quote:2bzqnqt9]

Little did you know his question was all part of his plot to obsolete detectors.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm

[quote="stainsor":3s6ra8oa][quote="deadeye":3s6ra8oa][quote="Rich":3s6ra8oa]Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector? [/quote:3s6ra8oa][/quote:3s6ra8oa]

Little did you know his question was all part of his plot to obsolete detectors.[/quote:3s6ra8oa]

Hehe, probably :)

By the way, the new version of Lesson 4 should be up later today...

Edit:
Er, maybe tomorrow, I'm tired :|
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:29 pm

Speaking of lesson 4:
I was trying to put David's bone animated alien in place of Charlie yesterday. But when I removed platform behavior from Charlie's hitbox then all of the sudden running the cap would crash Construct. (I bug reported it.) Do you get any similar problems when trying to edit part4.cap?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 pm

[quote="deadeye":35q475cy]
By the way, the new version of Lesson 4 should be up later today...

Edit:
Er, maybe tomorrow, I'm tired :|[/quote:35q475cy]

Can't wait!
B
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm

[quote="stainsor":lmz53v92]Speaking of lesson 4:
I was trying to put David's bone animated alien in place of Charlie yesterday. But when I removed platform behavior from Charlie's hitbox then all of the sudden running the cap would crash Construct. (I bug reported it.) Do you get any similar problems when trying to edit part4.cap?[/quote:lmz53v92]

"If it crashes, it's a bug" is the mantra around here. But that wouldn't be the only problem with removing the platform behavior from the hitbox... at the very least Construct would remove all conditions and actions that used the platform behavior, so you'd have to rewrite all those events anyway. Why not just use the same hitbox? Resize it if you need to, and tweak any events that need it.

At any rate, it's not a template... it's a tutorial ;)

[quote="zephyrus":lmz53v92]Can't wait![/quote:lmz53v92]

Soon :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:34 am

The new Lesson 4 has been rewritten! Finally!

I've redone the moving platforms, and removed all the detectors. It now uses built-in methods of detection such as "Has wall" or "Is overlapping at offset."

Also, the content was kind of light after rewriting everything so I decided to include Drasa's slopes in this lesson :). Thanks Drasa!

[list:26qztjw8]
[*:26qztjw8]Lesson Four - Detecting the Environment
[list:26qztjw8]
Using overlaps and offset overlaps to detect environmental elements. How to make a spring, a moving platform, slopes, and a simple animation trick.
[/list:u:26qztjw8][/*:m:26qztjw8][/list:u:26qztjw8]

Anyway, enjoy. If you find any errors you can blame Candescence, he was the proofreader on this one. Lesson 5 should be up in a few days, hopefully.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files