Tutorial: Platform School

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 am

Haha, yeah, I proof-read it. Looking good!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:13 pm

That one's good.
I'm just not sure about those slops - i know they suposed to be simple, but looks kind of weird when player stand on the bottom sprite overlapse withe the horizontal platform and when he's on top one of his legs is on the platform and the other one is in the air...but anyway im just moaning :wink: good work :D
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:02 pm

[quote="shinkan":miwh1bqf]I'm just not sure about those slops - i know they suposed to be simple, but looks kind of weird when player stand on the bottom sprite overlapse withe the horizontal platform and when he's on top one of his legs is on the platform and the other one is in the air[/quote:miwh1bqf]

Yeah, it's just a very basic example. This is just a beginner's tutorial, something to give you an idea of how something works. This method for slopes could be expanded to make smoother slopes where the overlap doesn't occur, or you could tweak your animations so they look right, etc. Or you could go with a different method entirely.

But if I showed that sort of stuff it would take forever. And after all, it's a tutorial, not a full, polished game. It's a starting point for new users, and hopefully will give them the knowledge they need to expand these methods into what they want to do, not just copy/paste the code into their own game.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:03 am

The next lesson is ready! It's a really short and simple one, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

[list:2v4iushr]
[*:2v4iushr]Lesson Five - Customizing Controls
[list:2v4iushr]
Creating two simple custom controls to enhance the default Platform behavior... super-speed, and double-jump.
[/list:u:2v4iushr][/*:m:2v4iushr][/list:u:2v4iushr]

Enjoy :)

Next up in Lesson Six: how to make a ladder, and how to swim.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 am

[quote="deadeye":saxc9lmh]The next lesson is ready! It's a really short and simple one, but hopefully someone will find it useful.

[list:saxc9lmh]
[*:saxc9lmh]Lesson Five - Customizing Controls
[list:saxc9lmh]
Creating two simple custom controls to enhance the default Platform behavior... super-speed, and double-jump.
[/list:u:saxc9lmh][/*:m:saxc9lmh][/list:u:saxc9lmh]

Enjoy :)

Next up in Lesson Six: how to make a ladder, and how to swim.[/quote:saxc9lmh]

Great tuto! The engine looks already so slick, that it would be pity if this wouldn't evolve as a full-featured game after the tutorials series is complete! Maybe the last tutorial could be "making a level editor" and then making the game would turn into a community challenge :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I love these tutorials (and the new frequent update schedule)

Thanks so much for posting these. As a beginner, they're a huge help getting a handle on Construct.
B
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:06 pm

[quote="Drasa":1he8pcbu]Maybe the last tutorial could be "making a level editor" and then making the game would turn into a community challenge :D[/quote:1he8pcbu]

Making a level editor would be more of an advanced tutorial, and I'm just sticking to the basics.

[quote="qxface":1he8pcbu]Thanks so much for posting these. As a beginner, they're a huge help getting a handle on Construct.[/quote:1he8pcbu]

Glad to hear it :). I sometimes worry that maybe I'm being to vague and concept-oriented. But just in case any part of the tut isn't clear, everyone feel free to post questions and I'll try to cover that part better.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 am

Very nice addition to the series Deadeye.

I have noticed that Charlie appears to speed up when he is running on slopes. His horizontal speed remains the same, but he gains vertical speed. So his overall speed gets a boost. Is this something that should be handled by Construct or by the programmer?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am

I think that's just an optical illusion caused by the change in direction. His rate of movement along the X axis stays constant. As a test, focus instead on the background parallax layer and you will see that it scrolls along at a steady rate.

You could alter his speed in the Slopes event sheet if you wanted to slow him down on on the slopes though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 am

Thanks very much for the Platform School lessons. It's great to see learning injected with humor. I've enjoyed them a lot. I love the little guy: Charlie's cool and graceful all wrapped up in one neat package. His jumping and falling animations are priceless. Seeing him jump up and down on the spring/trampoline was a real highlight.

I've found lessons four and five a bit out of my league at the moment. They are something to come back to when I've had more practice with the things I know. It would be good to be able to read back over the lessons without playing the game each time. I've been trying to find where the different messageTexts are stored. They still elude me. I see that you make them invisible at runtime then visible again when Charlie overlaps them while up arrow is being pressed. I'm surprised no one else has wondered where to find them, so hope I'm not being incredibly dim witted. :?

Looking forward to seeing Charlie swim next lesson.

Thanks
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files