Tutorial: Sokoban clone - SkullKoBan :)

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:47 pm

OK guy's I've created a small tutorial game. It's a Sokoban clone - you know the game where you push blocks around the level into their correct places.

Just a note I'm not a Construct God or a decent programmer so there may be ways to do things a little easier than I have done in the .cap file.

I was going to do an interactive video tutorial but:

A. The software I was using wasn't quite up to it.
B. I wasn't quite up to it :)
C. I didn't want to do a commentry because my accent is a bit....erm....broad and if I started using slang halfway through, then we'd all be in trouble.

So i've gone with a commented cap.

YouTube video of the game in action

And the .cap, the EXE and the graphics can be downloaded from DropBox here!

I am thinking of doing a part 2 with:

[list:fex8yt7g]Level Editor export to INI
Level Loading via an INI file
[/list:u:fex8yt7g]

Comments,Suggestions and questions are Welcome.

:)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Cap requires Lucid's SpriteFont plugin. Link to save searching:

viewtopic.php?t=4078

I've only had a quick look at the CAP, but it looks really nice - well organised, extremely well commented, and pretty modular too. Hope you don't mind if I post a link on my blog.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 pm

This is way cooler than Sokoban :P
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:29 pm

[quote="GMG":34ex5f7x]Cap requires Lucid's SpriteFont plugin. Link to save searching:

viewtopic.php?t=4078

I've only had a quick look at the CAP, but it looks really nice - well organised, extremely well commented, and pretty modular too. Hope you don't mind if I post a link on my blog.[/quote:34ex5f7x]

Thank you GMG. And thanks for putting the tutorial on your blog :). I have a link to it on my blog - Construct needs way more exposure.

[quote="xxKitheifxx":34ex5f7x]This is way cooler than Sokoban :P[/quote:34ex5f7x]

I might do a Boulderdash clone next. Maybe Skull-der-Dash.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 am

Very nice tutorial, thanks! :D
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:07 pm

I downloaded and installed Construct, then downloaded SpriteFont from provided link and put the Plugin .csx in the Plugin directory and the Runtime .csx in the Runtime directory both in the Construct folder. I put the SpriteFont 'Hello World' .cap and the SkullKoBan .cap in a separate directory and booted up the Construct app and tried to load them. The SpriteFont .cap loaded and ran fine, but when I try to load the SkullKoBan start.cap it gives me "Out of Memory". I'm running Vista and have 2 gigs of RAM. Any Ideas? Please?

I realized I didn't have the Graphics directory with the start.cap , but I moved that and tried it, same thing. Then tried to load from the SkullKoBan directory and that didn't load either, same error. Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT:

Okay, found the problem.

The SkullKoBan start.cap needs to be opened with the latest unstable build which you can get from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/constru ... e/download
B
G

Post » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for contributing to the community sir! This will be a help to many :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Whoa. So you mean spritefont hasn't caused you any problems? That's awesome
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 pm

[quote="lucid":2n53hg86]Whoa. So you mean spritefont hasn't caused you any problems? That's awesome[/quote:2n53hg86]

No.

Only ever had one problem with Spritefont and I made a quick workaround and it worked perfectly. I use it all my projects/experiments/games.

It's the User created plugin I use the most.

:)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 pm

why thank you minor

btw, do you remember what the situation was where you needed a workaround
it may be possible to bring this plugin up to a status of "use it this way"
instead of my normal policy as of late "don't use it"

I never had problems with it either

another question, have you ever used it with multiple layouts?

everytime people had problems using the plugin, their caps were always very different than I would have made them. there might be a dependable way to use this plugin yet
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your tutorials & example files