Two problems...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Footsteps SFX Two contains 450 sounds of steps and jumps on different surfaces.
  • Hello forum.

I have been using Construct for a day now and i am pleased with it, but i am having some problems with it.

1. Decreasing RAM.

My RAM looses 1MB every few seconds, even after i free it (using MaxMem). And letting Construct run too long makes my system unstable (Around 40%)...But this happens with Hammer as well (Half Life 2's Map Editor) and i think it has something to do with my system.

2. "The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x######## The memory could not be 'read' "

Ohhh, i hate this one, it makes Construct crash, along with my Source games. This might also be related with the problem above, thus it just being my system...

Any ideas?

• Not sure anyone will be able to know what the problem is, but it might help if you posted all your system specs.

• Did this ever happen before Construct? And what version do you have?

I have have Construct .99.83 up for hours and have never seen this a memory leak. I am running Vista and always have up a memory monitor and never see an issue.

• My specs:

nVidia GT 9800 1GB

3070MB RAM (2048 Available)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Page File: ###MB used, 1634MB available

And i have the latest version and havent used any previous versions.

...But its still a cool program

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Did this ever happen before Construct? And what version do you have?

I have have Construct .99.83 up for hours and have never seen this a memory leak. I am running Vista and always have up a memory monitor and never see an issue.

Yes, this happens in other programs as well...

I have been trying to find a solution but i cant find anyone that has my specific problem :\

• If there is a memory leak, there is something that is causing it in your project. If you are using an older version of Construct (below 0.98.3), there is such a leak in Canvas object. It is also possible that it is caused by an overlooked mistake in your event sheet or that there is another bug that is yet to be isolated.

Can you isolate the leak?

• If there is a memory leak, there is something that is causing it in your project. If you are using an older version of Construct (below 0.98.3), there is such a leak in Canvas object. It is also possible that it is caused by an overlooked mistake in your event sheet or that there is another bug that is yet to be isolated.

Can you isolate the leak?

It happens if i leave the program open on a crisp new project with nothing happening.

The program is getting memory, but is not giving any back until you close it.

This also happens with other programs that use memory constantly...

....So now what?

• Sounds to me like it's not Construct at fault, and that it's something that's running in the background.

What apps do you have running from startup?

It looks like something else running on your system has a memory leak.

If you have ICQ, MSN or any other nonsense running, shut them all down and try construct again.

Shut down everything that can be safely shut down without interfering with Windows, and by a process of elimination you should be able to pinpoint the problem.

It could also be a virus.

How's your system set up for protection against viruses and trojans (Firewall and AV software)?

Krush.

• Sounds to me like it's not Construct at fault, and that it's something that's running in the background.

What apps do you have running from startup?

It looks like something else running on your system has a memory leak.

If you have ICQ, MSN or any other nonsense running, shut them all down and try construct again.

Shut down everything that can be safely shut down without interfering with Windows, and by a process of elimination you should be able to pinpoint the problem.

It could also be a virus.

How's your system set up for protection against viruses and trojans (Firewall and AV software)?

Krush.

I have closed any unnecessary programs, i will see if it worked

I will EDIT my post if it solved my problem.

• Hello forum.

I have been using Construct for a day now and i am pleased with it, but i am having some problems with it.

1. Decreasing RAM.

My RAM looses 1MB every few seconds, even after i free it (using MaxMem). And letting Construct run too long makes my system unstable (Around 40%)...But this happens with Hammer as well (Half Life 2's Map Editor) and i think it has something to do with my system.

2. "The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x######## The memory could not be 'read' "

Ohhh, i hate this one, it makes Construct crash, along with my Source games. This might also be related with the problem above, thus it just being my system...

Any ideas?

Thinking more about it. Have you considered doing a proper memory test? You can find various utilities to do this via Google. It could well be a bad memory stick. That or your drivers need updating, and DirectX reinstalling.

Edit: Maybe also run a test of your hard drive/s especially the one your swap file is on. Could be a bad block that happens to be where the swap file is located, resulting in it becoming corrupt, and more likely to happen after as you say, construct has been running a while, giving it time to have been swapped back and forth as you did other things. Though I think the memory issue is more likely, that or drivers.

It could also be a problem with the PSU not being powerful enough for the system, but that's not as likely in this case.

• > Did this ever happen before Construct? And what version do you have?

> I have have Construct .99.83 up for hours and have never seen this a memory leak. I am running Vista and always have up a memory monitor and never see an issue.

>

Yes, this happens in other programs as well...

I have been trying to find a solution but i cant find anyone that has my specific problem :>

OK so we know this is not Consturct. My guess is that you have a Worm or trojen. I know that sounds like a generic answer but I feel from what you said thatis the issure.

Do you have ROOT? Simple virous detectors are not enough any more.

Make sure you have have no spyware. Spybot can relaly fix alot of probvlems.

Finally are you on a network? I once had a problem with 3 computers on a net work. My solution was to take all comupter off the nextwork and work on only 1 at a time until all three were clean, which took about a week of running and re-running Virus, spywere, and root kits program.

Note you MUST turn off sysem restore or windows will add your problems back when you reboot.

good luck

• Either it is some obscure computer problem that no one here can help you with or it is a virus (most likely). Try MS Security Essentials (free). Works well IMO.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)