Two suggestions for Flash behavior

From the Asset Store
Footsteps SFX Two contains 450 sounds of steps and jumps on different surfaces.

Hi Constructoids,

I think the following two conditions would make the Flash Behavior super-awesome:

1) Is flashing

2) Has flashing finished

Presumably, the runtime already knows this info, but we construct programmers can't check these conditions. Then we wouldn't need to use multiple additional events to count down a variable to keep track of when the player is no longer invulnerable etc.

Lastly,

I and many others would LOVE it if we could choose to flash either to invisible OR just a solid color... just by using the sprites current alpha channel and replacing all color data with a specified color.

Pretty please...... :)

Added first two to todo list... but flashing a solid color isn't really supported by the 2D canvas (although WebGL can do it). So that one will be longer coming, but you can work around by using an animation.

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much! This will really make temporary invunerability super easy to handle, less wasted events and variables. You rock!

for a fully animated platformer or fighting game player it would be a massive waste of vram and file space to have flashing versions of every animation etc...AH HA! How about flashing between two render modes! Like you can designate: appearance 1 and appearance 2 instead of just "visible" and "not", and each appearance could be set to either invisible or any of the current rendering modes (ink effects)

That would be incredible!

for a fully animated platformer or fighting game player it would be a massive waste of vram and file space to have flashing versions of every animation etc...AH HA! How about flashing between two render modes! Like you can designate: appearance 1 and appearance 2 instead of just "visible" and "not", and each appearance could be set to either invisible or any of the current rendering modes (ink effects)

That would be incredible!

That is entirely unnecessary O_o; Invincibility frames are as simple as..

+Player gets hit

+Player.Hurt = 0

-Set Player.Hurt to 1

-Flash Player

+Player.Hurt > 0

-Add 60*dt to Player.Hurt

+Player.Hurt > 60

-Set Player.Hurt to 0

-Stop Flashing

And to "flash" a shader effect you can toggle a boolean value while Player.Hurt > 0 that activates / deactivates the effect(s).

Tokinsom,

The discussion about using frames of animation for flahing was specifically for solid color flashing, and NOT invisibility flashing.

The whole point of behaviors is to reduce the need for events. The whole point of Construct is to reduce production time and let people spend more time and energy being creative with the least programming grunt work.

I'm glad Ashley is making the already useful Flash behavior drastically more useful. Saving our time and effort so we can make better games faster ad with less events is never "entirely unnecessary"...in the same way that Construct is not "unnecessary" because we have C,Java, Action Script, Basic etc.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Been waiting for that white flash effect as well. This is a chore to do and waste of frames to just have a faked version. We have webgl now, so i hope this gets added in the near future.

Tokinsom,

The discussion about using frames of animation for flahing was specifically for solid color flashing, and NOT invisibility flashing.

The whole point of behaviors is to reduce the need for events. The whole point of Construct is to reduce production time and let people spend more time and energy being creative with the least programming grunt work.

I'm glad Ashley is making the already useful Flash behavior drastically more useful. Saving our time and effort so we can make better games faster ad with less events is never "entirely unnecessary"...in the same way that Construct is not "unnecessary" because we have C,Java, Action Script, Basic etc.

I know. I'm just saying that using extra solid-color frames is completely unnecessary as you will be able to do that with shaders and toggling a boolean variable. You also mentioned invincibility frames being difficult w/o the requested Flash Behavior features so I thought I'd chime in on that as well. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, if that's so then sorry.

Yeah, I wasn't saying any of this was difficult to do with events (invulnerable while flashing)...I've done it countless times in several authoring systems. BUT, with the addition of "is flashing" , it will require far fewer events AND one less variable to get the job done. And sense getting the job done as quickly and as easily as possible is the point of Behaviors, thats why I requested it.

Adding the ability to set the alternate "appearances" of the flash to diferent blitting modes would allow for greater variety and usefulness of the flash behavior, while keeping it still super simple to use.

Flashing of the player sprite comes from very early platform games which were released on extremely low-powered systems (such as NES or Atari 2600). Therefore the only visual effect available was to flash the sprite character on and off. Modern systems could do much more, such as surrounding the sprite with a flashing gold halo but, strangely, games usually stick to the same old visuals (which can result in the player momentarily unable to see their character).

You bumped a four year old thread to add something that reads like spambot filler, so locking this thread.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)