Unable to import /tmx file with 2 tilesets

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • Problem Description

When importing a tiled TMX file with more than 1 tile set is throws this error on all projects. "Error parsing XLM file. Check the file is a valid Tiled TMX file."

Attach a Capx

kmdes.com/tmx_error.capx

Description of Capx

It does nothing. It is a blank project and still throws the error.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 Drag and drop .tmx file onto Construct 2.
    • Step 2 Error is thrown.
    • Step 3

Observed Result

Error is thrown.

Expected Result

Error gets thrown.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES/NO) No
    • FireFox: (YES/NO) No
    • Internet Explorer: (YES/NO) No

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 227

• It's a known limitation, most likely fixed with C3.

Till then use separate tile objects, or marked instances if it's the same tileset texture, and load them one at a time.

• Why not now fix in C2 ?.

So complicated is a solution to this ?.

There is still time for C3

• thank for your suggestion

gclub

• I can't reproduce this without the TMX file you are using. Can you attach that?

• Problem Description

When importing a tiled TMX file with more than 1 tile set is throws this error on all projects. "Error parsing XLM file. Check the file is a valid Tiled TMX file."

Attach a Capx

http://www.kmdes.com/tmx_error.capx

Description of Capx

It does nothing. It is a blank project and still throws the error.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 Drag and drop .tmx file onto Construct 2.
    • Step 2 Error is thrown.
    • Step 3

Observed Result

Error is thrown.

Expected Result

Error gets thrown.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES/NO) No
    • FireFox: (YES/NO) No
    • Internet Explorer: (YES/NO) No

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 227

Yep, this issue is super-annoying, as is not being able to duplicate a tilemap object and change the tileset it's using (I know the reason behind this is "optimization" but not making it optional is really inconvenient for loading tmx files at runtime, aside from how little use the optimization is for desktop games). What I ended up doing was using the tmx importer plugin and having a few different tilemap objects available to use for the different tilesets on layered tilemap stages. You can parse through the different tilesets used this way and spawn different tilemap objects for each tileset. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, and this feature should be native to C2 (as well as being able to use one tilemap object with multiple tilesets), but it works.

• Can we get this fixed sometime?? it's really annoying having to delete all my textures in each tmx except one texture, just to import it, and then when I do, I can only import the layer that uses that texture. So if I want to import other layers in the tmx, I have to go back and undo the deleted textures, leaving the texture for whichever layeri need to import.. this is really annoying.

Ashley

• I asked previously for all the necessary files to reproduce the problem. I still don't see that anyone has provided them. I cannot investigate the issue without that.

• https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhHSZHEulqh_gXZqaXEf4YQLPDOq

There is a zip file containing a capx, tmx, and png files. If you extract those and try to import the tmx into the tilemap object, it will throw an error.

Ashley , let me know if you need anything else and I can provide it.

• This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool... i do not understand why you have to download, install and use a third-party program to do something as simple as importing a png file and trim/crop/edit them properly as 32x32 tiles (for example), is a job that the image editor done admirably for sprites and animations, it should not be difficult to add similar functions for tileset mapping... sorry my english

• NN81 , from how I understand, they don't have the time to develop such tools to the extent that existing tools that are available can do already. This is why I'm expecting C3 to not have any paint editor at all.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • NN81 , from how I understand, they don't have the time to develop such tools to the extent that existing tools that are available can do already. This is why I'm expecting C3 to not have any paint editor at all.

Got it! but how do you load your game resources then? if the tool does not provide editor, for at least he must be able to load commonly formats like *.png files, and no "Tiled"dependencies like *.tmx

imho this is a serious lack...

sorry my english

• ah i see.. I guess you could write a plugin to load other formats. I assume the supported formats are those which are widely used or popular. If you need a specific format you could try requesting them.

• I had made a tmx importer plugin before, but it is not possible to load texture to editor directly from tmx file in C2's 3rd plugin.

• OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)