Unable to import /tmx file with 2 tilesets

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm

@NN81 , from how I understand, they don't have the time to develop such tools to the extent that existing tools that are available can do already. This is why I'm expecting C3 to not have any paint editor at all.
B
43
S
19
G
65
Posts: 1,104
Reputation: 37,945

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Prominent wrote:@NN81 , from how I understand, they don't have the time to develop such tools to the extent that existing tools that are available can do already. This is why I'm expecting C3 to not have any paint editor at all.

Got it! but how do you load your game resources then? if the tool does not provide editor, for at least he must be able to load commonly formats like *.png files, and no "Tiled"dependencies like *.tmx
imho this is a serious lack...
sorry my english
B
11
S
6
G
3
Posts: 249
Reputation: 3,152

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm

ah i see.. I guess you could write a plugin to load other formats. I assume the supported formats are those which are widely used or popular. If you need a specific format you could try requesting them.
B
43
S
19
G
65
Posts: 1,104
Reputation: 37,945

Post » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 am

I had made a tmx importer plugin before, but it is not possible to load texture to editor directly from tmx file in C2's 3rd plugin.
B
108
S
26
G
267
Posts: 4,456
Reputation: 149,747

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:17 pm

OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

NN81 wrote:This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.
Scirra Founder
B
395
S
232
G
88
Posts: 24,371
Reputation: 193,762

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Ashley wrote:OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

NN81 wrote:This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.

you're right! sorry for my misunderstanding > <
i discover that is possible load them from editor when insert "tilemap" object > <
me guilty sorry for mi english too
B
11
S
6
G
3
Posts: 249
Reputation: 3,152

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:59 pm

NN81 wrote:
Ashley wrote:OK, this should be fixed in the next build. The problem is it didn't understand TMX files with multiple tilesets. In the next build it will use the tileset associated with the imported layer.

NN81 wrote:This is something I just do not like about C2, what I do not understand is why you can not edit tilesets directly from tool...

You can - Construct 2 has a built-in tilemap editor. You don't need to use Tiled. The TMX importer is just for convenience.

you're right! sorry for my misunderstanding > <
i discover that is possible load them from editor when insert "tilemap" object > <
me guilty sorry for mi english too


You're better off using @rexrainbow 's tmx importer. The C2 importer is for tmx files is...kind of completely terrible, and extremely limited. You can load your tilesheet (the tile images themselves) into the built-in tilemap plugin at runtime using Load image from URL, then using rex's plugin to retrieve the tilemap data and place the tiles into the Tilemap object. Keep in mind the Tilemap object is (despite claims otherwise) somewhat low-performance if you're building a scene that isn't designed for having relatively few tiles on screen at once.

If you're going to have tiles that don't use default polygon colliders, you may be better off loading all of the tilesheet images into an empty animation in a sprite, then pasting the tiles into a Paster (the Paster plugin) object and then removing the sprites afterwards, and use separate objects to detect collision on the tiles you want to act as jumpthrough/solid/etc.
B
77
S
43
G
24
Posts: 525
Reputation: 20,580

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm

digitalsoapbox wrote:The C2 importer is for tmx files is...kind of completely terrible, and extremely limited.

What other issues are there other than the one described in this report?
Scirra Founder
B
395
S
232
G
88
Posts: 24,371
Reputation: 193,762

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm

To be fair, I think the C2 TMX importer is a totally different workflow from Rex's. Rex's TMX Importer is a runtime importer, whereas C2's built-in one actually resolves TMX objects to C2 objects. This totally changes how you even design the game. I don't think it's terrible, but just a different workflow.

On the other hand, Rex's TMX Importer is comprehensive, allowing the reading of Tiles, Objects and Object-Groups. It reads Tile/Object 'custom properties' so it's possible to create a map with specific attributes within Tiled, and have that correspond to something in C2. The connection to the tmx is made during start of runtime, so if you build your C2 events and behaviours right, you can 'make' a game right out of Tiled by populating it with meaningful properties, and then using C2 as the interpretter of the tmx. Quite flexible, and frankly, quite fun. :-)

Only @rexrainbow can say, but it may be due to the C2 editor's limitations that his TMX Importer ended up being a runtime plugin. But I think it's brilliant implementation. I had my own reservations at the start, but eventually appreciated workflow of assigning C2 behaviours based on TMX properties. And the fact that you could only see the results after hitting the preview button.
B
40
S
12
G
1
Posts: 66
Reputation: 2,926

Previous

Return to Closed bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests