Understanding subscription

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm

What I'm reading in the other posts here leads me to wonder if there aren't different subscription packages for different kinds of users.

I want to support Scirra, and invest in Construct. It's the only engine I use, and I play with it constantly. The new features and constant updates just give me more to play with.

But I only play with it. I export with NW.js, if at all. I'll never use Phonegap, XDK, and I'll never build a mobile app. And unless I misunderstand this feature, won't ever need a cloud-based exporter. It sounds like there are others in this camp.

So I guess I don't understand why there's only one subscription choice. It feels like it's either pro edition or no edition.

I'd pay $49/year for a local-only exporting model, without all of the extra / costly features, and without the ability to profit off of my work. I'd absolutely upgrade my subscription to $99/year if I decided to build a mobile app, and then downgrade afterwards.

I think it's worth considering each segment of the construct userbase. The pricing model can still be subscription-based, but different things to subscribe to.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:47 pm

glerikud wrote:
michael wrote:we all pay for it guess.

What do you mean by that? What we saw from the blog posts is that it runs great. We'll yet to try it in April, but currently I don't see any problems with the browser based editor.

Well, I mean it is now cloud based because of the handful of people that wanted Mac and Linux flavours of C2. The vast majority didn't want that.

The problem with the subscription model is it is only useful and affordable to those who can make it pay. Most C2 users are hobbyists and tinkerers, and will not be able to pay that much for it every year. It doesn't matter if it is cheaper than PhoneGap - why ever that matters - it is still expensive.

So what has happened is that the majority of C2 users will have to stay with C2, because C3 is out priced for them - either that or they get a cut down version\limitations or whatever.

It doesn't really bother me either way, I will give my free version a shot and see how good it is, but to have to pay like $200 or whatever it is after the monetary conversion every year it will have to way better than C2 - but yeah we'll see.

The other thing to remember is that just because other companies are going down the Subscription based path doesn't mean you have to do it as well. The vast majority of people loath this pricing method and rightly so, it is akin to local dairy farmer - and you will loose a multitude of current and potential customers as a result.

Just my 2 cents :)
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 pm

brushfe wrote:What I'm reading in the other posts here leads me to wonder if there aren't different subscription packages for different kinds of users.

I want to support Scirra, and invest in Construct. It's the only engine I use, and I play with it constantly. The new features and constant updates just give me more to play with.

But I only play with it. I export with NW.js, if at all. I'll never use Phonegap, XDK, and I'll never build a mobile app. And unless I misunderstand this feature, won't ever need a cloud-based exporter. It sounds like there are others in this camp.

So I guess I don't understand why there's only one subscription choice. It feels like it's either pro edition or no edition.

I'd pay $49/year for a local-only exporting model, without all of the extra / costly features, and without the ability to profit off of my work. I'd absolutely upgrade my subscription to $99/year if I decided to build a mobile app, and then downgrade afterwards.

I think it's worth considering each segment of the construct userbase. The pricing model can still be subscription-based, but different things to subscribe to.

I absolutely think the same thing. Scirra can make way more sales if they approached the market with a more flexible licensing model that accommodates more types of users. A lot of people here do want to buy construct 3, but do not want the subscription fee license model or the new wrapper/exporter :)

blurymind wrote:If you offer your own wrapper as subscription - you would still make a huge profit out of it - even if construct3 was a one time payment type. I would argue that you would make more sales if you give people the editor for one time payment (+future upgrade fees) and make the most error free and convenient way to export a game an extra service that is subscription only. Right now this subscription license lock is just driving away people from what seems to be an excellent improvement over c2
Perhaps something to consider in the future, if the current strategy doesn't work out great?

I like using nw.js too
I think the problem at the moment is having scirra's wrapper compete with all of these free wrappers that are kind of crap atm, but they do work.
Scirra could make it less easy to export the games to the free wrappers in construct3 - leaving it to manual steps for the user if they choose to use nw.js
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:13 pm

What I wanna know is how will the C3 desktop version work in relation with the subscription model.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:49 pm

brushfe wrote:What I'm reading in the other posts here leads me to wonder if there aren't different subscription packages for different kinds of users.

This is my view as well, completely agree.
The main 'upgrade' features for C3 are browser based, cloud, and mobile services. What if you don't need those features? Other than that, the new features seem like things that should be in C2.
I've had tons of fun with C2, but never published to mobile and probably never will. Like brushfe, if I ever do it would be a one-off.
A feature based pricing model seems much more attractive to me.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 pm

X3M wrote:What I wanna know is how will the C3 desktop version work in relation with the subscription model.

I want to know that too!
If for example it continues to work after the subscription period has ended - with disabled scirra exporter and disabled updates, but nothing else affected - then users would technically be using a classic licensing model and paying for software updates and an exporter/wrapper.

Without having scirra's exporter/wrapper:
- construct3 could still be able to export the game to html5, however it will take more manual effort to package it
- everyone here hates xdk, so if scirra's wrapper is better supported- they will have an incentive to buy the subscription to it
- Scirra's exporter could not only work better than phonegap, but be more integrated with construct3's export process
People will still have the incentive to buy it - especially those who target mobile!
People will still have the incentive to buy the subscription - because they get software updates for an entire year as well.

That would then be a nice way to counter the problem with all the currently leaving users who hate the subscription model.

That would be a genius move imo- and it will in no way hurt the incentive of users to pay every year. Announcing that and adding it to the FAQ would keep a lot of people here from moving to other software or staying with construct 2

Having to maintain and develop two applications is difficult and eventually @ashley and scirra will have to come up with a way to get unconvinced construct2 users to move on to construct3

Unfortunately right now buying a construct 3 subscription gives you
1.access to the editor with editing capabilities on projects that are more than a simple demo/test for a year
2. access to the exporter by scirra for a year
3. the editor + software updates for a year

People are ok with 2 and 3 , but point 1 is a deal breaker!

I would buy it if buying a subscription meant:
1. access to the exporter by scirra for a year
2. the editor for life + software updates for a year

That would also stimulate first time yearly subscription sales
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:48 pm

blurymind wrote:I would buy it if buying a subscription meant:
1. access to the exporter by scirra for a year
2. the editor for life + software updates for a year

That would also stimulate first time yearly subscription sales

I don't think that's how it'll go, but that would certainly help users to accept the subscription model (myself included).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:16 pm

I guess I will share my probably unpopular opinion here as well.

The Case
A Construct 3 license costs about $99 USD per annum.
For all people that don't know what annum means, it basically means $99 USD per year (365 days).
This roughly translates to $8,25 a month if you would put money aside each month.

My Statement
$8,25 a month are quite frankly peanuts if you live in a 1st world country and have a job in my opinion.
Let's look at this from the perspective of an individual/hobbyist and a start-up "business".

The Individual/Hobbyist
I would define this group of people to be C3 users which like to work on games and would like to share their work to the public.
Individual/Hobbyist generally have the intention do games as a hobby and usually don't plan on having a large and successful game.
Now to my statement, I believe that if you really consider something as a "hobby", you should also be willing to spend money on it.
To proof that a C3 license doesn't cost that much more than any other hobby costs, let's do a quick comparison to make things a little more clear.

Common Hobbies Around The World & Their Approx. Costs**:
Construct 3 > Total Costs: $100 (per year) > Monthly Costs (Savings): $8,25
Cycling > Total Costs: $130 (per year) > Monthly Costs (Tires): $12,99
Gaming > Total Costs: $220 (per year) > Monthly Costs (Games): $20
Musician (Guitar) > Total Costs: $70 (per year) > Monthly Costs (Strings): $5,99
and many more...

My point is: If you're doing something as a hobby, you should be willing to cover the costs for it.

Start-up "Business"
The case for start-ups, specifically aspiring indie dev's is fairly simple in my opinion.
You would like to make money, you've got to invest money and a price of $149 is reasonable and should be no problem.
The most of the aspiring indie's (including myself) plan to sell their games on Steam.
By selling games on the biggest gaming platform of all time, it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll make at least ~$500 within the first 3 months.

My point again: Consider the license costs as an investment.

In Conclusion
I think that Scirra should keep on going with the current pricing model and not make it unnecessarily complex by introducing "modules" (sell parts of the engine for an additional price). If you're not living in a 3rd world country* you should be able to cover the costs of the Personal License, even if you just consider game development as a hobby. Let's be real for a second, you get 365 days to work on your game, isn't that more than enough for just $100?

*This is not meant to be an insult!
**This is meant to be an example, don't expect accurate numbers please.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

In my case nothing is going to change my thinking, I will not pay rent of any software.
One of the reasons is that if you leave C3 and future Scirra software then you will no longer be able to edit your projects in the future.
My kids will be able to open C2 (maybe in a virtual windows) and see what I did and even edit it.
That will not happen with C3.
Another reason for me is that there are even free alternatives, I know programming, I do not see difficulty in adapting to another tool.
When I finish my project in C2, then I plan to start adapting to the new engine.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:35 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:I guess I will share my probably unpopular opinion here as well.

The Case
A Construct 3 license costs about $99 USD per annum.

You left out one factor. If you stop the subscription you lose some functionality of C3.

@Tom I would like to know also if the business license is dependent on the subscription?
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion