Understanding subscription

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Tom wrote:- If your subscription expires, you're still free to collect revenues from any published games
- If your subscription expires, you will not be able to edit the game (but you can open them in read only mode)

lamar wrote:There are some real legal issues that arise when you tie a license to a subscription that I want clarified before I lay out my money for C3.

What legal issues exactly?

The legal issues of how that license is enforced. If I purchase a license to produce a product and then let that license expire I will no longer have control of my game to edit which is basically taking ownership of my product produced under a valid license.

If that game is licensed to a publisher for mobile or consoles and a bug is found the author could be in legal trouble if they can not edit that game and you are tying Scirra into contacts that may happen between the game author and publisher.

If Scirra was to go out of business or just stop renewing license subscriptions that could cause serious legal issues for authors and publishers.

Can we see a copy of the license please?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Tom wrote: - If your subscription expires, you will not be able to edit the game (but you can open them in read only mode)

Sorry but I hate this. This makes me depressed. Can't you just charge a higher one off fee for C3 or something instead of a subscription?! I don't want to have to keep a subscription paid up, to edit games I made a couple years ago if I let it lapse. This actually feels unethical. Locking developers out of their own projects they built! Man!!! >:(

EDIT Basically we don't get to own our own copy of the software. We just have the privilege of renting it!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm

lamar wrote:The legal issues of how that license is enforced. If I purchase a license to produce a product and then let that license expire I will no longer have control of my game to edit which is basically taking ownership of my product produced under a valid license.

No, we are not taking ownership of your game. The game and your content is yours and we have no legal stake in it.

lamar wrote:If that game is licensed to a publisher for mobile or consoles and a bug is found the author could be in legal trouble if they can not edit that game and you are tying Scirra into contacts that may happen between the game author and publisher.

You can edit the game, just pay to have access to our software.

lamar wrote:If Scirra was to go out of business or just stop renewing license subscriptions that could cause serious legal issues for authors and publishers.

What serious legal issues specifically?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

A concession to this would be C3 Static - a one-off payment (costing several times more than the subscription fee) that gave users a static version of C3 that could cloud export games and edit files over 100 events, but was locked to the most (at time of purchase) version number and:

Did not receive updates.
Could not utilise multiplayer servers.
Could not be used on mobile devices.

Though as stated could open older files made in the paid version of C3.

However this is ignoring the fact the subscription model is very affordably priced and fair!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Tom wrote:
lamar wrote:The legal issues of how that license is enforced. If I purchase a license to produce a product and then let that license expire I will no longer have control of my game to edit which is basically taking ownership of my product produced under a valid license.

No, we are not taking ownership of your game. The game and your content is yours and we have no legal stake in it.

lamar wrote:If that game is licensed to a publisher for mobile or consoles and a bug is found the author could be in legal trouble if they can not edit that game and you are tying Scirra into contacts that may happen between the game author and publisher.

You can edit the game, just pay to have access to our software.

lamar wrote:If Scirra was to go out of business or just stop renewing license subscriptions that could cause serious legal issues for authors and publishers.

What serious legal issues specifically?

If the game designer can not edit that game because Scirra goes out of business or just stops renewing subscriptions that can interfere with contracts the game designer has with publishers.

Game designers invest huge amounts of time into creating a game format they may use for next versions or other games and again if Scirra goes out of business or stops renewing subscriptions their work would be locked down so you are tying yourself into game designers product as I see it.

Can we please see a copy of the license/contract?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm

If the game designer can not edit that game because Scirra goes out of business or just stops renewing subscriptions that can interfere with contracts the game designer has with publishers.

Say it's a one off purchase, and we go out of business and a bug is introduced that makes your game uneditable. Then what do you do? You have the same legal issues right?

These will be made available at the time of purchase.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Tom wrote:

Say it's a one off purchase, and we go out of business and a bug is introduced that makes your game uneditable. Then what do you do? You have the same legal issues right?

So you have to buy the C3 engine before you can view the license/contract?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:51 pm

lamar wrote:
Tom wrote:

So you have to buy the C3 engine before you can view the license/contract?

No, obviously not. You will be able to view the licenses/agreements before you buy. They will be made available when Construct 3 is up for sale.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Tom wrote:

No, obviously not. You will be able to view the licenses/agreements before you buy. They will be made available when Construct 3 is up for sale.

OK then I will hold off negative judgement until I see the license/contract but I would hope you get that out before the engine is officially released for sale so we have some time to peruse and discuss it and people do not rush into a contract that may not be suited for their business model.

I appreciate the responses!
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Elliott wrote:However this is ignoring the fact the subscription model is very affordably priced and fair!

For most people it is not the money - they would pay more, even at a loss - because they loath subscriptions.

Humans are just weird like that - lol.

And by the way it is dearer than my Adobe sub.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion