Understanding subscription

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm

The discussions seem to be becoming more cyclical, with a little frustration setting in also.

Might be time to just step back a little and reflect. Maybe next week will bring a little more clarity.

Thanks.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:20 pm

lamar wrote:Being compensated is irrelevant and if your contract requires it and you can't do it because you can not edit the game due to Scirra going out of business, not renewing your subscription or letting it expire guess who is liable?

If Scirra go out of business? Literally no one.

There's this entire contract law concept called "impossibility". In the event someone submits a claim of breach of contract, the defendant can argue that circumstances have changed to such a degree from when the contract was agreed that the terms are now impossible to abide by.

The defendant would then win, because impossibility is a legal slam dunk.

Somewhat hilariously, if C3 was non-propriety like you're asking for, the defendant could actually lose, because it could be argued that you could edit the software through a convoluted third party method.

Now if it's because you didn't renew your subscription, well I refer you to my previous post:

Your subscription is an operating cost of your business. You wouldn't cry to your energy provider to give you free electricity because you need to update your game, why on Earth would you think Scirra should be different?

The editor is a service.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:03 pm

zenox98 wrote:The discussions seem to be becoming more cyclical, with a little frustration setting in also.

Might be time to just step back a little and reflect. Maybe next week will bring a little more clarity.

Thanks.

I was thinking more sinusoidal.
But yeah this is all getting really depressing.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:11 pm

lamar wrote:
newt wrote:
lamar wrote:Yes but if you let your subscription expire to adobe you still have your pictures that can be edited in another program. You will not be able to edit your C3 games without maintaining the subscription.

See the difference?

Ps uses a proprietary file type for projects that can be exported as other file types.

There are all kinds of online conversions that will convert psd to jpg or any other format for editing.

Is there any to convert a C3 file to one you can edit on other engines?

There's InDesign, After Effects, Premiere, by the way, all proprietary. Photoshop is slightly different in that it has best back-compatibility among the aforementioned CC progs. But all proprietary nevertheless, and the conversion of PSD to another layered format is a bit tricky, since PSDs do potentially have loads of different data (layer masks, effects, smart objects, etc).
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Elliott wrote:
michael wrote:
Elliott wrote:However this is ignoring the fact the subscription model is very affordably priced and fair!

For most people it is not the money - they would pay more, even at a loss - because they loath subscriptions.

Humans are just weird like that - lol.

And by the way it is dearer than my Adobe sub.

Considering the fact that Adobe Photography, the cheapest Adobe service, is $9.99 a month, and C3 is $8.25 a month, I believe your case is either incorrectly calculated, or an outlier.

EDIT ah OK my calculator works but not my glasses, I thought the personal licence would not let you sell your games - lol.

The point I was making is that people will pay more than the sub to avoid having the sub - they HATE them. Weird I know :)

But anyhow, what zenox98 said....
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 pm

newt wrote:I was thinking more sinusoidal.
But yeah this is all getting really depressing.

I thought you said suicidal.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:26 am

Artpunk wrote:
Tom wrote: - If your subscription expires, you will not be able to edit the game (but you can open them in read only mode)

Sorry but I hate this. This makes me depressed. Can't you just charge a higher one off fee for C3 or something instead of a subscription?! I don't want to have to keep a subscription paid up, to edit games I made a couple years ago if I let it lapse. This actually feels unethical. Locking developers out of their own projects they built! Man!!! >:(

EDIT Basically we don't get to own our own copy of the software. We just have the privilege of renting it!

This, I feel is the most important thing here, and is being overlooked. It seems unnecessary to do this to us, and I have a real problem if a company is so shortsighted as to not see this as an issue for its user base. I can afford a subscription just fine, but I won't be supporting something that doesn't support me back.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 am

Just a thought.
How about for a subscriber who has established at least one year's paid subscription, they get x amount of time added on after dropping a subscription, but they can only edit?
That way the customer gets some incentive to re up.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:56 am

Ashley wrote:
mangue wrote:
Ashley wrote:We also have a cloud hosting network just to serve Construct 3 itself.

Remind me, who asked for this "feature"?

The people who asked almost daily for Mac and Linux ports, and even some who asked for Chrome OS and even one or two who dreamed about using Construct 3 on their phone or tablet. That's how we approached the problem, and that's how we support two whole OSs nobody else in the industry has even attempted to.

I don't really understand, there surely must have been a whole WEALTH of features that have been asked for, probably twice as many times daily that haven't been considered, is it down to developers personal discretion what features are added?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 am

Zebbi wrote:I don't really understand, there surely must have been a whole WEALTH of features that have been asked for, probably twice as many times daily that haven't been considered, is it down to developers personal discretion what features are added?

This bothers me too, were there some polls that I missed? Was there any market research done? It doesn't seem that way, and it seems that C3's motivation seems more driven by the dev's desire to crack the challenge of making a web only service that does all that stuff (it's impressive, but I don't think most people actually care that much about it). Scirra needs to remember that those that complain the loudest aren't always the majority (although call me a hypocrite because in the case of your subscription system they definitely are). But that's why you need to do proper research, a few forum posts here and there from some loud complainers won't cut it.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion