Understanding subscription

Post » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Hoodloc wrote:
Zebbi wrote:I have near to no experience in Construct but support for multiple platforms sounds a hell of a lot more important for business growth and thereby software progression (and ultimately new features) than something that seems to be annoying but solvable by a workaround.

You don't need to put all your eggs in the basket of a Third-Party component - ie a browser, and especially Chrome - there are plenty of cross platform tools out there that don't run in a browser.

How useful would any dev tool be on a smart phone or even a tablet?
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 am

michael wrote:
Hoodloc wrote:
Zebbi wrote:I have near to no experience in Construct but support for multiple platforms sounds a hell of a lot more important for business growth and thereby software progression (and ultimately new features) than something that seems to be annoying but solvable by a workaround.

You don't need to put all your eggs in the basket of a Third-Party component - ie a browser, and especially Chrome - there are plenty of cross platform tools out there that don't run in a browser.

Hey that's not my quote! :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 am

michael wrote:You don't need to put all your eggs in the basket of a Third-Party component - ie a browser, and especially Chrome - there are plenty of cross platform tools out there that don't run in a browser.

It's the same as placing the eggs in a OS basket, windows can have bugs too. Hopefully C3 will work on more browsers eventually, because I don't really like chrome.

And I'm developing entirely on a Surface Pro 4 tablet tablet with C2, and it's much much more comfortable than you imagine. On my back, on the Sofa with Surface... that's my studio... I even prefer that to sitting by a desk with keyboard and mouse, which feels like a productivity killer for me now. The only time I move to a desk is when i have to use other software like photoshop which is pretty much useless to work with unless you have a keyboard connected.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah, not the way I dev, dual monitors, multiple programs open, edge running only for googling (or testing game play for C2).

But each to his own....

tunepunk wrote:It's the same as placing the eggs in a OS basket, windows can have bugs too.

In the last three years or so the only thing that has bugged out enough to be annoying or near useless was Chrome - which I no longer use...

But tis neither here nor there now - C3 already is locked into the path chosen by Scirra - but it is going to have to have a lot more refinements than the editors that have been showcased til now - if it is just C2 in a browser with a few tweaks, you may as well just stick with C2 on your surface.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 pm

newt wrote:
Zebbi wrote:
Ashley wrote:We don't implement features exclusively based on what people ask for, although that is a very important part of the process. For example people frequently ask for 3D, but there are good reasons why we're not going to do that. So it's not as simple as simply following what people ask for, we weigh it up with several other factors.

BTW - what are some of the features you perceive as being asked for twice as many times daily? Just curious what specific features you're thinking of there. The main one I can think of is the mobile app build service, which we've already announced.

I've seen a lot more requests for non-solid tiles without a second tilemap, for instance, than I've ever seen anyone ask for a web editor.

I'll just leave this here:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=163584&p=990341&hilit=construct+online+editor#p990341

See I just suggested that two years ago, but it will simply not fit the licensing model that scirra is going for now - thus I dont think they will ever allow colaboration features in fusion 3 that allow you to host the editor itself on localhost.

It is more likely that even if they do that - they will do exactly what the people replying to my old thread said that they fear and do not want - cloud only + rental. Scirra could make one editor talk to another editor perhaps - but both users must be subscribed and be online in order to collaborate then.

I said it would be great for game jam events- because I was assuming that the editor will be on localhost and others would get access to it via their web browsers alone - without having to sign up to scirra and do all the other stuff people hate.
That is something that superpowers will always have over construct3- an editor that has none of the restrictions that people replying to my thread back then had fear of :?
And the ability to collaborate with others in real time - free of charge - without relying on a third party service

Reading the comments from back then now is actually kind of hilarious :lol: I was assuring people that they wouldnt have to need to rely on dropbox to collaborate - that is exactly what @ashley decides to do
I was assuring people that it doesnt have to be rent model - scirra does exactly that.

The software being html5 does NOT mean that all those things need to be the way they are in c3.
Superpowers is a living proof of that - but superpowers is a very different beast. If you want to support it, its a choice. You need to learn a scripting language, so it's not aimed at the same userbase as construct
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:34 am

mangue wrote:
Ashley wrote:We also have a cloud hosting network just to serve Construct 3 itself.

Remind me, who asked for this "feature"?

lol - probably no one...
B
S
G

Previous

Return to General Discussion