Unfinished Games on Arcade

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm

@Kyatric I only have an unfinished project right now, could you or someone else verify that this feature is there? Because my game has a feature for the community that i wish to exploit to make it grow faster and better.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm

@Tom could confirm or deny the "Update" function for games uploaded in the arcade.

But what do you mean by "a feature for the community". Are you talking about a custom plugin ?
If so, for now, you can't upload games using any third-party (custom) plugins or behaviors.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Yes, updating games should work fine. Just click edit at the top when viewing the game
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 am

I'm in favour of a category for unfinished games. Some demos/trials are really fun and promising so they get rated highly, but end up pushing down other finished games. So I think moving them to a separate category is best. Perhaps that category could also be discounted from the top games list too.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 am

Yeah, I mean, what if non members would like to try out games in the arcade and found out that most games are actually UNFINSIHED. That may lead them to think that C2 has never produced a FINISHED game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Im glad that people found my topic a hot subject and im glad to see many shared my concern. Im also in favour of a separate category for the unfinished games.
I also agree with Ashley about removing them from the Top/Feature listings, as you have done with the Example games, which was very nice of you to do.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm

DeviantArt has a "scrap" gallery, for people just wanting to submit less important stuff/wip/sketches, a similar feature could be useful here
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Agreed. That's the best solution imo
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't understand why removing unfinished from the top games would improve the quality, if people vote higher for an unfinished game we should be displaying that above a finished game with a lower rating, we'd rather show the better content right?

There's not enough content for us to be picky yet, in the future maybe, but at the moment I think it's a lot better to just show the best stuff.Tom2012-01-09 22:01:53
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

The thing is that the arcade as it is right now looks really amateurish, I tried to play some games, most of them had no instruction for the controls at all, other were ridden by bugs, other simple tests..

I agree that as a community is correct to leave people with the possibility to see their game published but there's a limit. People that don't know c2 may go to the arcade and say "ah this is not a good game maker, you can't make real game with it" and this detracts to your business and the overall image of the community.
On the other hand I see that as its the beginning of c2 not many finished games are on the arcade, but this is also inherent to the current state of it, I'll be publishing a finished (although simple) game on the arcade for the competition as a "lite" version and the full version on the chrome web store, simply because the lack of a leaderboard and the missing support for full screen are a deal breaker.

You really should think about this carefully because while it's true that you are building a big library of games in a short time you may also be scaring away "serious" developers, to be honest if it wasn't for the competition I wouldn't have even thought about publishing a game on the arcade as it really strikes as amateurish as other have said, and the risk of a full game (as ugly as it may be) being under an unfinished game may damage the image of a developer that invested time and money on a project.

My 2 cents.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Website Issues and Feedback