Unimpressed

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 pm

@Ashley Very well said.

As a software developer, I have to weigh these options too and its not easy. Its not just keeping your users happy, its balancing out maintainability, usability, all kinds of other ilities, developer use, performance, etc....

In the end I would rather the tool/lib I'm using be correct, resulting in changes to my stuff, rather than hoping developers shiv in some code patch to make sure my specific version works the next time I go to change it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Why does it bother you that your old "crappy" projects doesn't work now? either fix the bugs if you care about the project or make a new a better one, your post is useless if you don't want help, don't want to fix it yourself and only wish to complain about stuff that was made years ago and doesn't work anymore.

Also
I'm sure kind people here will try to help me, even ask for my c2 files but I thank you beforehand and will have to reject such offers because having to resort to human help in such situation only confirms the problem with C2

Did it ever occur to you that your code might be crap and that's the reason it doesn't work anymore? It seems as you only are able to put the blame on everybody but yourself. Construct 2 was heavily bugged and had a lot of problems under it's 1 to 20 releases(my experience), I think it is very optimistic to think that your project would work after 2 years.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:16 pm

CandyFace wrote:Why does it bother you that your old "crappy" projects doesn't work now? either fix the bugs if you care about the project or make a new a better one, your post is useless if you don't want help, don't want to fix it yourself and only wish to complain about stuff that was made years ago and doesn't work anymore.

The original post already contains your answer so you may want to reread it if you're serious about discussing this topic:

"I don't care about this game at all actually. Today I were planning to start another project, some sort of an adventure game but why would I keep using a tool that can't open projects newer than 2 years? Would you? "

Did it ever occur to you that your code might be crap and that's the reason it doesn't work anymore? It seems as you only are able to put the blame on everybody but yourself. Construct 2 was heavily bugged and had a lot of problems under it's 1 to 20 releases(my experience), I think it is very optimistic to think that your project would work after 2 years.

Not only any C2 user is entitled to be a crappy coder (since it's a piece of software mainly or partly targeted towards non-coders) but also this topic is about the criticism of a commercial product from the viewpoint of the member of a targeted market: the crappy/non coder. Encountering ad hominem in online communities is something I really dislike, doesn't help anyone, prove a point or look good so please stay away from it.

I'll be repeating myself in the following pharagraphs so excuse me for that but I want to be sure I expressed myself properly since I'm not a native speaker and all.

The concept of software evolution may be inevitable, I don't question that yet from a commercial standpoint, C2 did a bad job with the trust of this one non-coder if the last 22 months is to be reference. I know the people behind this tool from this forum, site posts and a couple e-mails and they're clearly honest, hard working, respectable and very good at what they do so I can subjectively say the following 22 months aren't going to be as bad. However I'm a realist and I find it risky to invest my personal time and effort on C2 any further. This isn't something to be angry about and I'm not but I believe it deserves a thread here (which you can delete after some time if you think it'll have a negative impact on C2 commercially but I'm just one random guy posting his opinion here, shouldn't hurt C2 really). I hope I were able to express my criticism and reasoning to post here better this time. I wish the team luck and thank everyone who stayed on topic regardless of whether or not they agreed.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Maybe someone could put up a tutorial listing all known breaking changes since version XX(50? 100?), and users could update it with fixes.

So, if someone's resurrecting an old project of value, they'd have a list of fixes to try.

I can't imagine trawling thru 100 pages of changelogs... :(
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:28 pm

@TiAm that is actually a great idea
Founder of HeroicTek
HeroicTek.com
Owner of HeroicDomains
HeroicDomains.com
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Being able to do Developing, Programming, and Customer Service all at the same time deserves 100,000,000 hugs and an air balloon trip to Tiki Tiki Island.
B

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:42 am

Actually, I think that this is a very good/important post. Some people see it as complaining... but it's actually an open criticism, like a product review... we see those on Amazon every day, and it really helps people make informed decisions. Wronghands gave me something to think about, as I look into the possibility of purchasing a License.

Accurate and fair assessments should always be encouraged... if we filter out the negative ones, then that's really just the definition of bias. There is already enough of that in the world.

It also gave Ashley the opportunity to provide even more information about this topic...

As was said... posts that you don't find useful... you should simply ignore. Someone, like myself, might very much appreciate it.

Encouragement. Not discouragement.
B

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 am

Ryder wrote: if we filter out the negative ones, then that's really just the definition of bias.

And yet you want to filter out negative comments relating to the OP?

If people are told to ignore a post, that's only self-serving, as only the people who agree with the OP will post... Also if the OP is slightly controversial, then how can you not respond with your opinions? It's just human nature.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 am

codah wrote:
Ryder wrote: if we filter out the negative ones, then that's really just the definition of bias.

And yet you want to filter out negative comments relating to the OP?

The idea is not to protect comments... merely because they are comments. The idea is to protect all *C2 Related* comments, in C2 discussion areas. There should be a free flow of info and opinions about *C2*.

I would think that yes, it would be best for people to voluntarily filter out all messages dedicated to, for example "Miley Cyrus" in C2 forums. Maintaining a bias free environment for Miley Cyrus postings is pointless.

There should be a strong discrimination in favor of *C2* discussion. Therefore calls for the elimination of C2 discussion are uniquely ill suited for posting here... being philosophically contrary to the purpose of the forum.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
B

Post » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:54 am

I've seen issues like this happen between IDE versions (Visual Studio and .NET updates), and library updates (an Allegro update from one build to the next once broke one of my games completely), however in that case the main solutions are to re-code or revert program version.

I think it's always pros VS cons when there are breaking changes, but in C2's specific case this is generally a pro. There have been some bugs introduced at times that were quickly fixed in the next beta, but once you've got all the features you need to use for your game you should stay on that build version until your game is done, release the game, then store a copy of the C2 installer with that build when you archive it.

I can definitely understand the frustration when you're trying to find the broken/changed parts between builds, so maybe a list of every possible breaking change in one spot would be nice to have :)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General