Unity 3D is now filled with tons of bugs, C2 is way better

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Construct 3 Plugin Unity Ads, Banner, Interstitial Ads, Video (Support C3 build service)

Ok , Ok the battle is over!! The Unity 5 series is filled with tons of bugs. Got to sections like the android section where they talk about codes and games, now go past the sticky topics haha the android section looks like the bug report section go look

http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/android-development.30/

Now go to the windows section and its even worst over there, some games are causing malware to form WTF!! Go past the sticky topic's and look at all the problems

http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/windows-development.50/

Now after all that I triple dare you go into the bugs report section oh wait you can't because they deleted it off the official forums page!!

http://forum.unity3d.com/

Go check yourself and see if they put the section back up. Last time I check they deleted it. I don't want to hear crap about Unity vs C2 the fight is over !! If you still want to use Unity better find the Unity 4.6 and under. All new Unity versions are horrible.

Lol. I wouldn't dare using Unity2D for 2D games. That's just making life more difficult. But 3D is another story.

I'm not surprised that there are so many bugs since the program is code-based and there are many possible outcomes in a single function.

The program itself gives you the freedom to mess up.

But I'm sure some are false bugs too from beginners like here in C2.

Every game engine that I have ever dealt with had its share of problems. Unity has never been "problem-free". They are, like everybody else, in a permanent amorphous state of turmoil. If you think about it, it's only natural. They have better and worse phases, and not everything is their fault or even within their reach to change.

Interestingly, most of the issues I had with C2 were not with C2 itself, but adjacent (and still necessary) tech like NW.js, chrome or phonegap. In the end, if you hit a point in time where a C2 bug, a chrome bug, and a NW.js-f***up happen at the same time (think about the long, dark age of "the jank") it doesn't really matter who's fault it is, the outcome is the same.

Insofar all "X is better than Y"-discussions are pointless. Real engine agnostics expect to run into bugs everywhere

Ok I don't if you guys have used Unity in the past but the 4 series 4.1 to 4.6 was pretty solid. Yes it had bugs but not like this new 5 series has. I played around with Unity in the past and expected it to get better. C2 has gotten better but Unity has not. If you remember in the past people talked more about code problems in the games they made, not bugs 24/7.

It is a bit disappointing how many bugs Unity has, but it's still my favorite editor for 3d games, so I'm going to stick with it. Hopefully, the bugs will be ironed out eventually. If not, oh well. It's the only 3d engine that I'm competent in.

It is a bit disappointing how many bugs Unity has, but it's still my favorite editor for 3d games, so I'm going to stick with it. Hopefully, the bugs will be ironed out eventually. If not, oh well. It's the only 3d engine that I'm competent in.

So which series do you like better the 4 or 5? I feel the 4 series was more stable but the 5 series has more features.

I upgraded my project to 5, so I probably won't be going back. Also, two of my books use Unity version 5 as well (Unity in Action, and Unity A.I. Game programming), so I'll be sticking with 5. I'll be starting the A.I. book in a day or two.

One of my gripes is that projectors don't work. For the top-down game I'm working on, it would have been useful to project a selection circle around characters or bases (like Company of Heroes), but it isn't reliable enough. In fact, I think it's completely broken at the moment.

I forget what else I don't like, but I'm a bit tired at the moment.

One thing I did notice with 5.4 is that selecting objects in the viewport seems more responsive. I've had issues before with selecting specific objects, but it seems to be better now (so far at least).

I don't think they've fixed mixed lighting not casting shadows on dynamic objects, but I'm just using one real-time directional light at the moment since I've my game outdoors. So, this doesn't really affect me.

I hope they continue to iron bugs out. I don't want to have to go back to Unreal, even if I think it had a better engine. Unity is just so much easier for me now that I know how it works.

I upgraded my project to 5, so I probably won't be going back. Also, two of my books use Unity version 5 as well (Unity in Action, and Unity A.I. Game programming), so I'll be sticking with 5. I'll be starting the A.I. book in a day or two.

One of my gripes is that projectors don't work. For the top-down game I'm working on, it would have been useful to project a selection circle around characters or bases (like Company of Heroes), but it isn't reliable enough. In fact, I think it's completely broken at the moment.

I forget what else I don't like, but I'm a bit tired at the moment.

One thing I did notice with 5.4 is that selecting objects in the viewport seems more responsive. I've had issues before with selecting specific objects, but it seems to be better now (so far at least).

I don't think they've fixed mixed lighting not casting shadows on dynamic objects, but I'm just using one real-time directional light at the moment since I've my game outdoors. So, this doesn't really affect me.

I hope they continue to iron bugs out. I don't want to have to go back to Unreal, even if I think it had a better engine. Unity is just so much easier for me now that I know how it works.

Also for android the performance is worst in the 5 series because of some canvas memory leak ( not sure exactly) and now it puts extra permissions like READ STATE PHONE IDENTITY which will have users uninstalling in seconds.

Well, my target will be pc for now. I may do a mobile port later, but that would involve redoing a lot of things. If the time ever comes that I want to start doing mobile games (or mobile ports), hopefully they will have it sorted.

it's crazy you even compare c2 with unity !

unity 5 is now like windows 10 so there is no new big versions and after that fixing those things, now they add stuff when ever they ready and that's why there are more bugs !

but we get new stuff sooner and engine change so much more and like before doesn't get behind of other engines and this is a new way for unity so give them time to fix things

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

it's crazy you even compare c2 with unity !

unity 5 is now like windows 10 so there is no new big versions and after that fixing those things, now they add stuff when ever they ready and that's why there are more bugs !

but we get new stuff sooner and engine change so much more and like before doesn't get behind of other engines and this is a new way for unity so give them time to fix things

Next time you respond to a thread read the actual posts inside the thread instead of just the title because what you just said does not make any sense. I honestly don't think you even understood the conversion. For 2D games Construct2 is now officially better than Unity 3D. Now i you want go show me any Unity 3D game that came out this year 2016 thats a 2D game , that is better and runs better than Construct2 on Android.

You can't do these effects or mechanics with c2... Alto's Adventure.

Don't get me wrong, C2 is excellent for non-coders, but it's limited by the tech if the wrappers we're forced to rely upon. And it simply cannot do dynamic lighting (or physics?) like this game.

Don't get me wrong, C2 is excellent for non-coders, but it's limited by the tech if the wrappers we're forced to rely upon. And it simply cannot do dynamic lighting (or physics?) like this game.

Been done and much better here

http://store.steampowered.com/app/412660/

The tool isn't the limit its the developer. There is always a way to do stuff you just got to find it. Construct 2 this year is solid. I am talking about this year now , yes 2015 below Construct2 was not optimized but this year has been awesome. Much faster ,more plugins developed, and featured games on the appstore. Not just bugs fixes but the performance on games has been great.

... For 2D games Construct2 is now officially better than Unity 3D.

I think mahdi71 isn't necessarily wrong with his argument that you shouldn't compare those engines with each another but nonetheless it's your opinion.

My opinion would be that both of the engines have their issues but Unity still to this day, delivers the better end-product with almost no 3rd party exporting hassle.

If you compare the amount of bugfixes that Unity gets per update, it should be pretty even with C2's side of bugfixing.

Usually one Unity update alone fixes 5 times the amount of bugs that a C2 update does (not counting the amount of additional features they add).

To sum it up, for me the end-product is important and C2's end-product is acceptable and the game development fits with all my needs.

In the end the price, usability and support lead to my decision to keep on working with C2 instead of Unity but that is my opinion and doesn't proof that "C2 won the fight", both engines are too different to easily compare them with one other and of course both of them come with their own kind of limitations and bugs.

I don't want to "trigger" you with the following but this topic feels more like the start of another unnecessary rant instead of a fair comparison.

Please just make sure you are fair and got all the facts and not just the negative things and say that "this is better than...".

However I'm not going to stop you or anything, you can post whatever you like to post.

I think it's doable in C2.

At least mechanics wise.

A non webgl solution might involve the Canvas plug, while one for webgl could use Paster.

The physics aren't an issue.

The visuals would be pretty contrived however.

Splines out the wazoo.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)