Universal Controller

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm

@Kyatric, :) I guess it's another case of my language barriers. I didn't say this situation can be achieved now. I tried to say it should be that way.

Just imagine the current "touch" object with additional mouse related events/vars.

If I create a game today with the touch object I can convert it to the mouse in no time - simply check the "simulate cursor". This, to me, should be expanded till there's no separation between mouse and touch objects. Just 1 expended object - Touse or Mouch, which will cover all events/vars.

I totally agree about the multi-touch. This is a special case and as far as I recall the touch object itself doesn't deal with that. The behavior "Drag and Drop" does this well but the touch, AFAK, doesn't deal with "Touch[2]" for example.

As I see it, people will keep creating games in the mouse environment while testing them on touch environment. In such operation it's best to develop on the "touch" object and check the mouse simulation. If the touch object will be expanded it will cover both mouse and touch games.HotGod2012-02-21 20:36:37
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 am

I don't think we can make a touch-keyboard because it would probably have to be different for every game. It's also a difficult technical challenge to make it so I would simply prefer game developers properly supported touch controls, which is a more natural way to control games than a virtual keyboard.

As @Kyatric notes, Mouse and Touch are two very different forms of input, both in terms of what they can do, and in accuracy. So it is much better for game developers to treat each separately. Also people tend to make games dependent on features like "Mouse is over object" which will never fire in the touch version of the game, and it's all too easy to miss that if you design your game on a desktop. Using a separate touch object forces you to design your game to the capabilities of the input method.

FYI you can switch on 'Use mouse input' for the Touch object and clicks will count as single touch input. This is great for testing simple games, but obviously a mouse cannot simulate multi-touch. The Touch object does also fully support multi-touch, the only gotcha is the Touch.X and Touch.Y expressions only return a single value, but usually you don't need them. Basically, there's no shortcut to having a real touchscreen device, using the Touch object, and using Preview-on-LAN to get your touch input working really nice... but not everyone has a touchscreen and wifi, which is probably the main reason lots of games don't support touch.Ashley2012-02-22 00:13:21
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 pm

When I got my iPad2 I went over many C2 creations I did in the past and tried to convert them to be iPad friendly.

Since there's no "OR" operation built into C2 I simply found myself copying big chunks of code and replacing the conditions to the touch object instead of the mouse.

If there was an "OR" I would have simply added the touch checking side by side with the mouse checking. This would have take 1/100 of the time.

Maybe once the "OR" is introduced people will see that it takes them about 20 seconds to make their game a touch-friendly without making their event sheet look like spaghetti.

Is there a chance we'll see the "OR" in the future?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm

I am missing the OR too
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:42 pm

OR, like many many things, has been on the todo list for ages. We'll get round to it eventually.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Looking forward to the "OR" operation myself.

Also is there a way to emulate a touch device on a Windows computer? Since I do not own a tablet at the moment. Thanks.danny2012-02-23 21:32:07
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 am

@danny:
I can recommend Electric Plum's iPhone/iPad simulator.Velojet2012-02-24 08:32:11
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks Velojet.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Website Issues and Feedback